1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

question about PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hazybud1, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hazybud1

hazybud1 Thread Starter

ok so i was looking at new Gpu and noticed some cards (like the one i own now are Pci-e 2.1

if my board has a 2.0 x16 slot will a 2.1 16x card be compatible?

also on some higher end boards i saw some pci-e 3.0 slots does this mean you need a 3.0 card?

also another question reguarding gpu based on purely performance what would be better a 2GB 192 bit card or a 1GB 256 bit card?? can someone explain to me the difference between the bus and the gig of memory and which would be more useful for high end gaming? i know the higher the bit the better when your talking about textures and high resolution but is that true for the memory aswell?:D

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    PCI-Express for the most part is backward and forward compatible, meaning that you can use higher a revision device in a lower revision board and vice versa. The only difference is that the device will run at the speed or feature set of the lowest common deliminator. But don't confuse that for the performance of that actual card, the card will still perform at its rated speeds its just the interface/connection to the motherboard that is affected, and the performance difference in most cases isn't that significant in the overall grand scheme of things.

The 2GB 192-bit and 1GB 256-bit are just the amount of memory and the bus width of the memory, its only tiny factor in the performance of a video card and no real judgement can be made from just this information. You need to consider the specs of the whole card not just one component; honestly the best way to figure out how a video card performs is to look at benchmarks.

3. hazybud1

hazybud1 Thread Starter

okay thankyou very much but after alot of searching i found a 2gb 256 bit XFX radeon 6870 and its the same price as the geforce gtx 550 after the mail in rebate.. and a awesome core clock too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice