1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about PCI-e slot below dual slot video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by choyt2010, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. choyt2010

choyt2010 Thread Starter

I have a AMD 7870 Dual slot video card on my Asus M5A99X-Evo Motherboard. It is installed in the first 16x slot...and I also have a PCI-e 1x XF-I Titanium Sound card. The problem I am having is that one of the 1x slots is covered by the video card, and the 2nd one is open, but right smack below the Video card. My Video card is the Sapphire 7870 GHz Edition non OC.. Attached is a picture of what I am trying to explain. My other question is: Will this cause issues since one of the GPU fans is semi covered? Its it recommended? Last question: If I move this to one of the 8x slots below on my motherboard, will it cause my 16x PCI-E slot to slow down? Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide.

Computer Specs -

Asus M5A99x-Evo Motherboard (AM3+)
    AMD FX 8350 8 Core (4Ghz)
    Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870 GHz Edition (2GB)
    8GB DDR3 1600 Kingston HyperX memory (2x 4GB)
    500GB WD Black Edtion SATA HD
    1TB WD Black Edtion SATA HD
    Sound Blaster XF-I Titanium PCI-E 1x Sound Card
    Thremaltake 750 80+ Bronze PS (Smart Series)
    DVDRW (SATA)
    DVD-ROM (SATA)

Attached Files:

2. Tanis

Tanis Shane

My opinion ...

Yes, setting up like that will have an impact. The air flow to your GPU will be restricted so it will more than likely run hotter than it did. It may still stay withing recommended specs, but it will run hotter.

The motherboard has onboard sound (RealtekĀ® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC ), any particular reason why you don't use that? Onboard sound is perfectly good for gaming and the like now, its not like older machines where you needed a dedicated card for decent quality. In my opinion, you only need a dedicated card if you are doing a lot of detailed audio work (mixing, remastering and other specific audio work). This would totally remove the issue.

3. choyt2010

choyt2010 Thread Starter

Due to the fact 99% of all onboard audio uses the cpu...and the fact I use the optical on the card...this is why I use thr pcie sound card. Ill keep an eye on the temps...I also have a side case fan that exhausts right next to video card...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092148