Question About 'Pinging" an address

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jnibori

I had a problem last week where it was suggested that I Ping an address. I am trying to learn the easiest way to do this. I am also looking for an explanation on what this will accomplish.

I am assuming the goal is to verify that the address exits and my computer can get there directly. Also, how will I know if I successfully "Pinged" the address.

Here's what I have been doing.

I open the Command Prompt, and type "nslookup" then enter. I then type the WWW URL and hit enter. I get the web-site name, accompanied by the IP numeric address returned.

Is this a successful Ping, and am I doing this correctly?

Thanks.

at prompt- ping "url" or "ip"

good luck

edit: eg c:\ping ww?.yahoo.com or
ping 255.255.255.255

? to switch off link

try here for detailed description of "ping" and "traceroute" utilities

(good troubleshooting tools when having connectivity problems)

click here

jnibori

Yep-

The site is what I was looking for. Thanks, and thank-you AlwaysLearning for the assistance as well.

http://www.securitysoftware.cc/apps.html
PingLog - Does you ISP Suck? Some of my clients had intermittent connectivity problems with their ISP. The support guys kept coming out but never found a problem. (Funny how it always
worked when they were there.) I wrote this program to create detailed logs of the connectivity problems. Their attitude changed as soon as I sent them the log.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online