1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question About 'Pinging" an address

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jnibori, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

I had a problem last week where it was suggested that I Ping an address. I am trying to learn the easiest way to do this. I am also looking for an explanation on what this will accomplish.

I am assuming the goal is to verify that the address exits and my computer can get there directly. Also, how will I know if I successfully "Pinged" the address.

Here's what I have been doing.

I open the Command Prompt, and type "nslookup" then enter. I then type the WWW URL and hit enter. I get the web-site name, accompanied by the IP numeric address returned.

Is this a successful Ping, and am I doing this correctly?

Thanks.

2. AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

at prompt- ping "url" or "ip"

good luck

edit: eg c:\ping ww?.yahoo.com or
    ping 255.255.255.255

? to switch off link

3. phoneguy55

phoneguy55

try here for detailed description of "ping" and "traceroute" utilities

(good troubleshooting tools when having connectivity problems)

click here

4. jnibori

jnibori Thread Starter

Yep-

The site is what I was looking for. Thanks, and thank-you AlwaysLearning for the assistance as well.

5. jmatt

jmatt

http://www.securitysoftware.cc/apps.html
    PingLog - Does you ISP Suck? Some of my clients had intermittent connectivity problems with their ISP. The support guys kept coming out but never found a problem. (Funny how it always
    worked when they were there.) I wrote this program to create detailed logs of the connectivity problems. Their attitude changed as soon as I sent them the log.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice