1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about port forwarding port 80 (for apache) and a couple other questions

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AhrenBa, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I have been messing around with Apache from (XAMPP) on my Windows computer. I know that it is not secure, but I am just testing it for right now (for fun).

I am behind a Linksys WRT54g router. I can easily access the apache server from internally (locally), and in order for me to be able to access it externally (external IP in address bar), I have to port forward in my router.

So, I port forwarded port 80 and everything worked fine. I just had a question about this.

Since most internet (HTTP) traffic is served through 80, and I just port forwarded 80 to one computer, how do the other computers on my network still have access to the net. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome that this works, but I would just like to know how. Theoretically, wouldn't all the traffic that is coming through 80 be routed to that one computer?

Can someone explain this to me?

Also, when people use Apache to host sites, do they usually keep the apache ServerName (in httpd.conf) at localhost, or do they change it to a different IP? I would imagine they would keep it at localhost, so what would be the reason for changing that to a different IP?

Thanks!

2. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice