1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about RAM memory with Ryzen 2700X on X470 mb.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boudewijn1963, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boudewijn1963

Boudewijn1963 Thread Starter

I am gonna build a new PC with the latest Ryzen 2700X CPU on a X470 motherboard. On my first Ryzen 1700X PC I had some issues with the compability of which RAM modules to use. Has the compability with the 2700X CPU on a X470 motherboard become any better? Which brand and type of memory is the best to use on the x470 motherboard with the new CPU?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Please provide the brand name and complete model number and revision number of that "X470" motherboard so its identity can be confirmed.
    Once its support site is located, it should provide you with a list of supported RAM modules it has tested.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, memory has improved. Even on my x370 Asus ROG board there is no memory problem. Bios updates have generally fixed the memory issues.
    Check the qvl or approved list for whatever board you intend on using. Do understand that just because memory is not on the list does not mean it will not work; it means it was never tested and found to work. There are so many different memory chips that it is pretty hard to test ALL of them.
    As long as you stick to name brand memory, you should be fine.

4. Boudewijn1963

Thank you so much for your reply. I think I will go for the Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard, or for the Rog Strix X470-F gaming motherboard. As I want to use the new computer not only for 4K video editing, but also for audio, the motherboard also needs to have a good audio chip.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use a crosshair VI hero ROG. Very happy with the board. Runs a 1700X @3.9gig and runs ram at rated speed. The sound on the ROG boards is quite good. You can even set different sound settings for each program or game ie more or less bass, etc.
    One thing about the amd boards. XMP does not seem to work all that well. I always set ram speed, timings, and voltage manually in the bios.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank

ASUS PRIME X470-PRO
    (support site)

ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F (support site)

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Boudewijn1963

I want to try the Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400mHz RAM on the new board. I only have to buy two RAM modules of 8gb. each, because I already have two of them. That makes 32 gb. in total. Yes, I know about the Crosshair VI hero ROG motherboard. There has also been released a new version of that motherboard, the Crosshair VII hero ROG mb. It is quite expensive, but honestly said, I think it is the best choice to make in my situation.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just wondering why you would go with such slow ram. The second gen ryzen processors have native support for 2933 ram. Even my old 1700X runs 3000 ram [overclocked to 3066]

9. Boudewijn1963

Does it make much difference by using faster RAM? As you know, RAM, especially DDR4 RAM, is very expensive these days, and I already have two sticks of 8gb. 2400mHz RAM. I am not a gamer, and I want to use the new PC for video editing and for audio. What worries me most is what kind of graphics card is the best to use for video editing in 4K resolution.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

For that use, 2400 will be fine. I have not done any editing in a very long time. When I used to do video editing, that was cpu intensive not video card intensive. Check the requirements of whatever program you intend on using for editing however I would think that as long as your video card can display whatever res you want, it will be fine.

11. Boudewijn1963

Thank you so much for your advice. I am using Corel Videostudio 2018 Ultimate for video editing, I also have Vegas Studio 14 Platinum software for video editing. I am glad to know that graphics cards are not the most important thing to make video's, also in 4K. An AMD Ryzen 2700X CPU has eight cores and sixteen threads, and is also faster, compared with a 1700X cpu. And is also much cheaper than an Intel CPU with the same specifications. I now have one computer with a Gigabyte GTX1060 3gb. graphics card, and I never had any problems by watching 4K video's on YouTube. The last thing I want to know is what NVMe SSD to buy for my new computer. I've heard the Samsung 970 Pro is the best one you can buy. It is an MLC drive, and people say that is better for video editing than TLC, especially for video editing in 4K resolution. But are there also other brands of fast MLC NVMe drives for less money you can buy? I think 512gb. of storage capacity is enough for me.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use a samsung 960; very pleased with the performance. My ryzen system boots win10 in approx 5 seconds after POST.
    I would use the M.2 drive for the operating system and whatever programs you need. Use something like a 2TB [or larger] spin drive for storing your videos.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice