Question about RAM?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BigShow

I am a college student, so you could say cash is at a premium for me. Meaning I do not have alot. However I am thinking about adding another GIG of DDR Ram to my machine, I was wondering if it would really make that much of a difference in my computeing power. I dont not use my machine for anything other than pleasure. I currently have a P4 at 3 ghz, 1 Gig of DDR Ram at 400 mhz, nothing to spiffy in the video card dept, and 2 hard drives that equal up to 280 gigs. So anyones input to if this would be a wise investment would be greatly appericated. Thanks

There is very little in the way of software that you would likely use that could or would use 2 GB of RAM.

Check in task manager, you will find that you are not using all of the 1 GB you have.
I have 1 GB and presently have 490 MB unused (available).....

Save your money, you're not going to need 2 gigs. Unless you play BF2, but my machine gets by just fine with 1 gig.

BigShow said:
I am a college student, so you could say cash is at a premium for me. Meaning I do not have alot. However I am thinking about adding another GIG of DDR Ram to my machine, I was wondering if it would really make that much of a difference in my computeing power. I dont not use my machine for anything other than pleasure. I currently have a P4 at 3 ghz, 1 Gig of DDR Ram at 400 mhz, nothing to spiffy in the video card dept, and 2 hard drives that equal up to 280 gigs. So anyones input to if this would be a wise investment would be greatly appericated. Thanks
and what pleaseure are you using it for? there are very few apps that would benifit from 2gigs of ram, maybe 3D CAD programs, some audio and video editting, most games can live pretty well with a gig, sounds like it would be a waste of money.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I see a number of folks already beat me to the "save you money" line. :D

BigShow

Sweet, thank you all for your responses. I just didnt know if it would be a wise investment or not. Guess I can just spend that money filling my gas guzzling suv up with gas, BAH! ha

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online