Question About Ram

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tiffanyj87

Ok, this is probably a simple question for most of you. But ive had different experiences as to the cause of my question.

I have windows vista home premium, and i know its a resource hog but i wanted to ask anyway.

The system properties report that i has 958mb of Ram. I infact have 1024 installed. Could anyone explain to me why it would be saying that. Also, any tweaks i can do to get it to 1024. I mean if i have 1gig installed why am i not using the whole gig?

I feel stupid cause i don't know this. In the past my experience has been the system reporting more ram than i had because of the video card i had installed. On my older computer. well, just wondering.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :p

leroys1000

Banned
Make sure you have disabled any onboard video in the BIOS setup.
If you installed a Turbocache video card,then it is using the memory.

leroys is right, if you have onboard video, the bios has assigned 64mb of the ram to the video. this is normal, i wouldnt worry about it.

Disabling onboard video in the bios won't change the reading anyway as long as it is there.

Tiffanyj87

my laptop came with 128mb geforce video, and 1 gig of ram. I didnt think it would still use ram towards video when i have 128.

Tiffanyj87 said:
my laptop came with 128mb geforce video, and 1 gig of ram. I didnt think it would still use ram towards video when i have 128.
The 128 is taken from the ram it is not in addition to.

Tiffanyj87

so when my laptop said it had 128 go geoforce graphics, and 1 gig ram. that 128 is substracted from the ram? lol wtf. this is different from my old desktop hmm. oh well.

Hey are there slots in laptops to upgrade the graphics? im not so familar with the inside of a laptop. i only recently opened it up and saw SODIMM ram for the first time and checked it. i was curious if it was 1gb stick or 2 X 512. And it was 2 X 512 so im ticked off.

Hey are there slots in laptops to upgrade the graphics?
There are some very expensive laptops that have actual cards but 98% are only onboard video.
There appear to be some pcmia video cards (http://sewelldirect.com/vtbookpcmciacard.asp) which are super expensive and I also believe there are cards you can fit into docking stations to add a video card also.

Tiffanyj87 said:
so when my laptop said it had 128 go geoforce graphics, and 1 gig ram. that 128 is substracted from the ram? lol wtf. this is different from my old desktop hmm. oh well.

Hey are there slots in laptops to upgrade the graphics? im not so familar with the inside of a laptop. i only recently opened it up and saw SODIMM ram for the first time and checked it. i was curious if it was 1gb stick or 2 X 512. And it was 2 X 512 so im ticked off.
Most laptops use shared memory. Yours is probably one of them.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online