1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about routers and usb ethernet adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Galanthas, Nov 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Galanthas

Galanthas Thread Starter

I'm going to be getting a router soon and was wondering if I'll have any problems since I have a usb ethernet adapter at the moment? It connects to my cable modems ethernet jack though, not sure if that helps anything.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I am not a big fan of USB ethernet adapters. I personally would get a real Network Card. The USB will probably work but the NIC is so much better to have. And they are dirt cheap. YOu can pick one up off of Newegg for under $10.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The USB adapter should work, but I have to agree with the advice to get a real NIC.

4. Galanthas

Galanthas Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies :). It wasn't my choice to have the adapter it was free with the cable modem install. I was going to change it eventually but wanted to see if I did need a NIC right this moment when buying a router.

5. tekgurl

tekgurl

If you'll be getting a wireless router...you can still use that usb adapter to connect to the router's ethernet port...or you can have it wireless.

6. jayeliot

jayeliot

Hi,

I am having a similar problem, I think. I have a Lynksys wireless router. My wife's laptop is equipped with an internal wireless adapter which works great.

My desktop PC is wired directly from the ethernet port of the PC to one of the ports on the router. But now I want to go wireless.

I purchased a Netgear 2.4 GHz 802.11b wireless USB adapater. This is consistent with the Lysksys router. I installed the software, an icon appears in my system tray, but it cannot locate the router.

I called Netgear tech support. He stayed on line with me for 20 minutes but came up with no answers. In the utility configuration he says that I need to know the Network Name (SSID) for the router. He says that the default settings are not working , so he wants to know the SSID. He also wants to know if there is a MAC filter and if there is encryption.

He suggested that I call Lynksys. Do you guys know what to do ?

Thanks

7. jayeliot

jayeliot

Does anyone know how I can find out the SSID of my router ? I have been told that I can use my browser to get that info, but I don't know what to do.

Thanks

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Open a command prompt and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL

The IP address under the Gateway and DHCP server is the address of the configuration pages of your router. Point IE at that address and follow your nose.

9. smooth26

smooth26

if your going to use a router,it should be a nic not a usb adapter.also,you need an ethernet port on the modem.

10. Rikku

Rikku

Huh? The USB Device IS the nic... I find that USB Wireless nics work fine just for sharing a wireless internet connection. Ok for print sharing but not for file sharing... at all.

I haven't seen many cable/dsl modems without an ethernet port!! :D

11. jayeliot

jayeliot

Johnwill,

Thanks for the response. I did find out the SSID from my wife's tech support line, but I will give your suggestion a try when I get home.

Rikku,

I did use the USB adapter to transfer files from my old PC to the new one. I was pleased that I could move several hundred songs in about 20 minutes and about 400 photos in about 45 minutes. If I had used something else besides the USB adapter would the transfer have gone more rapidly ? If so, what would you recommend to replace the USB adapter ?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/177561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice