1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about RX460 on my GA-P45T-ES3G, Socket 775 board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lynx1021, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

I picked up a slightly used XFX RX460 video card ($50) for my GA-P45T-ES3G board. I noticed when booting I get a strange pixilated screen before the bios screen and windows screen. It boots fine into windows and displays with no problems at all. Is this the card looking for a UEFI bios? I did some searching and some said the RX460 would not work with a legacy bios. I must have gotten lucky with the XFX card. Anyone heard of this? I know a lot of the newer cards won't work with a Legacy bios. I will try to take a picture and post.

2. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

I caught a quick picture of it, it actually kind of flashes and changes colors. I guess I need a Video of it Pixilated.jpg

3. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    If when the OS is quiescent and there are no video artifacts as shown in the picture, don't worry about it.

If it happens during normal operating mode, you'll have to replace the card.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Yes I have not seen any problems in windows, maybe I can find a GPU stress test to test it.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It really is hit and miss with installing a new video card in a legacy system. It comes down to both the card mfg ie xfx AND the motherboard mfg gigabyte. If the card mfg included a legacy switch in their card, it can work with a legacy bios. The mb bios can also include an update to increase video card compatibility. This is why you see so many threads where someone installed a nvidia 10xx card in their dell/hp and it will not work. The big box mfg has no vested interest in you upgrading; they would much rather sell you a new system.
    You have a much better chance of the card working when you stick with a quality card mfg like xfx rather than some off brand. Remember nvidia or amd just mfg the chipset; it is up to the individual card mfg to include a legacy switch.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  6. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

Well I just ran the furmark stress test for about 10 min and it and the highest it got was 70C, right now it is 36C. So I guess it is a keeper!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice