1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about safe levels of GPU usage and temps.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xhaydenx, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xhaydenx

xhaydenx Thread Starter

Aug 16, 2011
    I'm playing the new Sleeping Dogs on PC. Had a few questions about the GPU readings I'm getting.

My GPU is a NVidia Gtx 580

My GPU usage is at 99% constantly. Is this bad? Can it ruin my card? The temps are around 80c-85c.

I can turn down the game's SSAO, but I'd rather keep it on. Turning it off knocks off about 10-15c of temp and reduces GPU usage to around 75%

I guess I just want to know if its safe or not to have the GPU on 99% for long periods of time.

I posted this in the games section, but I think it should be here instead.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Dec 26, 2002
    High usage is normal during gaming, if its not being used then it's being wasted.

Maximum card temp is 97 degrees, so no problem there either.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065529