question about select tag in php

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sudhakararaog

i have two select tags as part of a registration form, city1 city2 where city1 has a list of regions and similar for city2

there are different regions for city1 and city2 so instead of all the regions appearing one after the other i would like to create a blank option followed by the next set of regions for formatting purpose only.

ex=
<select name="city1">
<option <?php if ($city1=="region1"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="region1">Select region1</option>
<option <?php if ($city1=="nameofregion1"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="nameofregion1">nameofregion1</option>
<option <?php if ($northisland=="0"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="0"></option>
<option <?php if ($city1=="nameofregion2"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="nameofregion2">nameofregion2</option>
<option <?php if ($northisland=="1"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="1"></option>
</select>

<select name="city2">
<option <?php if ($city2=="region2"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="region2">Select region2</option>
<option <?php if ($city2=="nameofregion1"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="nameofregion1">nameofregion1</option>
<option <?php if ($northisland=="2"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="2"></option>
<option <?php if ($city2=="nameofregion2"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="nameofregion2">nameofregion2</option>
<option <?php if ($northisland=="3"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="3"></option>
</select>

from a php validation perspective if a user does not select any of the regions or both the regions i am displaying an error message asking them to either select 1 region from either city1 or city2

as of now there is a blank option being displayed which is working fine, i am having an issue with the php validation.

until i introduced value=0 my rules for validating the select tag were:

1. user cannot leave both the select tags with the default option which is "Select region1" & "Select region2"
2. user cannot select both the regions from city1 & city2 select tags

the code of 2. is
if(!($city1 == "region1") && !($city2 == "region2"))
{
$error.="Please select only 1 Region<br />";
}

now by introducing <option <?php if ($northisland=="0"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="0"></option> there is a conflict with the above php validation code used in point 2.

is it correct to use 1,2,3 as part of the following <option> tag or should i only use 0 everywhere
<option <?php if ($northisland=="0"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="0"></option>
<option <?php if ($northisland=="1"){echo "SELECTED";}?> value="1"></option>

how can i get around the conflict that is being created by introducing this value=0 with
if(!($city1 == "region1") && !($city2 == "region2"))
{
$error.="Please select only 1 Region<br />";
}
as i need the above php code and i also need the blank space for formatting purpose

please advice.

thanks.

I'm not sure I entirely followed, but I think you may want to use "empty()" to check required fields, rather than looking for a numeric 0.

Are the $northisland options for formatting purposes? Because if they, I would do as awatson said and just put value="" - you can have the same value for more than one option. Then you can put if (!empty($variable)) { /*The input is valid*/ }.

I got a bit confused but I hope that helps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts