Question about seperate pages on a website

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

buff3r0vrfl0w

Hi All,

I'm a newb with web design/architecture, I currently have a website. " www.mycompany.com/page.html "
Is there a way to shorten that url so its just " www.mycompany.com/page" or do I need the .html so the browser can interpret the code?

I know this must be a stupid question to you seasoned web guys/gals but I'm a newb and want to clean up the url a bit so ppl can just go to " www.mycompany.com/page " without typing the .html extenstion

Thanks

leroys1000

Banned
Web servers are usually set by default to display
the index.html page .
Change the name of your home or landing page
to index.html and it should load that page when your
base domain is called.
That is for an html encoded site.
For other types of sites like flash or asp,the server
would need to be setup to display the appropriate type first.

buff3r0vrfl0w

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to make this my first page. I want it to be another page on my site accessible by typing "/page" at the end of my domain.. I use this all the time on various sites for example www.cnn.com/weather , www.hak5.org/live ..

Am I missing something here? Since there not html thats why they don't need an extension?

colinsp

Colin
If it is an apache / nix server then you can modify your htaccess file to do what you want. Do a Google for specifics.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online