1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about SUSE

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Captainkewl, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Captainkewl

Captainkewl It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

I am running windows xp and linux suse on a dual boot. When I am using xp, websites load very fast (I have a high speed connection). But when I boot up suse and use the same browser (firefox), websites load painfully slow. I was just wondering why that was considering they are both using the same internet connection. Thanks

2. Captainkewl

Also I am not running swap as I have 1 GB of RAM. I don't think that should have anything to do with it.

3. vtel57

vtel57

It's my understanding that Linux MUST have a /swap. I could be wrong, though. ;)

4. Headrush

Headrush

Yes you are wrong. :p

Can you download a second browser and test its speed. (Opera for example)
    This would tell us whether your problem is Firefox related or system related.

Linux browsing should be on par and possibly even faster than Windows.

5. vtel57

vtel57

Yuppers! And that's why my Experience Level is listed as "Intermediate". I still have lots to learn... especially about Linux. ;)

By the way, I experience the exact opposite of this member. Back in my Windows days I couldn't use FF because it was soooo slow on XP. However, in Linux it's blazing fast.

Off I go...

6. Headrush

Headrush

No matter what our experience level, we are all always learning.

Firefox is dog slow to load on both OSes, (unless you use a preloader), but browsing speed should be comparable. (At least with current versions.)
    Could have been a simple configuration problem you had, but hopefully it won't matter as you will stick with Linux now anyways! ;)

7. vtel57

vtel57

I've been using FF 2.0 in both WinXP and Linux these days, and yes... it does load slowly, but the browsing speed is comparable in both OSes nowadays. I don't worry too much about loading speed because 1) I rarely ever boot to Windows these days... just to play games, usually, and 2) In Linux, once I initialize my system in the AM, FF stays open all day long in workspace 3.

Any YUP! Learning is a full time thing, especially with Linux. I'm having FUN, though, and that's what matters.

Later... :)

~Eric

8. Headrush

Headrush

vtel57, if you're interested, check out Firefox Preloader.

It will preload firefox in Windows, just like IE and will be much faster.

I've used Linux exclusively for many years now, but a few months ago I switched to OS X on a PC. (Until I bu my next machine.)
    I get the polish of OS X but still can use many of my favourite Linux/KDE apps: Konqueror, Quanta, etc.

9. vtel57

vtel57

Interesting... I'll check it out. Thanks! :)

10. Captainkewl

Hey guys. I tried using opera as well but the speed is still very slow. When I use windows and go to a website, the page loads right away (very fast). When I use Suse, I have to wait about 10 seconds before anything even happens. I'm not sure if it could be something in the configuration or what, but it is horrendously slow compared to windows. It just doesn't make sense to me because I am using the same high speed internet connection with both. It's ticking me off, because I would much rather use Linux over windows any day, but I can't sacrifice that much of a speed loss. Thanks for your replies so far guys.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!