1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about System Restore

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Spleendor, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spleendor

Spleendor Thread Starter

Hello,

This has been a sweeping saga, but to keep it short, I have fought through several malware symptoms only to be left with two irritating nags:

1) Google search results in IE 6 redirect me to bogus sites when I click a link.
    2) I had to create a new user profile for one of my users whose original profile was corrupted. I'm just afraid to delete the old one once and for all in case there are still settings in there that didn't come across in the copy.

My question about System Restore is, if I know the malware problems started as of a certain date, would a System Restore from a point before that be the end all, be all solution? I would think so, but I've never had to do one so naturally I'm a bit nervous about it.

If not, can I be sure that the new copied profile is as good as it gets, go ahead and delete the old one, and then go through the HJT steps to solve this Google search redirect bugger? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Spleendor

Spleendor Thread Starter

So I have been researching other threads on this Google redirect issue, and I found one that made reference to a BHO entry in the HijackThis log, one with no name and no file name. I have a similar entry, shown here:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {db41de82-1dd1-11b2-b7fd-fbaf280c36b9} - C:\WINDOWS\ghmxenmt.dll

It has a file name, but it looks awfully suspicious and when I google it, I get zero results. Could this possibly be the culprit? Of course I'll understand if you guys would rather do your own analysis of my HJT log before suggesting anything, but I thought I'd ask, in case there's a pattern behind "no name" entries .

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/705051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice