1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about temperatures with overclock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ronnrein, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ronnrein

Ronnrein Thread Starter

Hi, i have a Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 that ive overclocked from 3GHz stock to 4GHz with an Cooler Master V8. The temperatures for high performance games (Crysis, GTA 4) are always around 55*C, and that seems fine, but when i run prime95 it gets up to 71*C. Now i want to overclock it to 4,2 GHz, but i know ill want to run a prime95 test after that but how will that treat my cpu regarding temperatures? is it anything to worry about? How long should i let prime95 run with what temperatures?

Thanks for your time!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, first of all there is NO safe overclock. I have one rule; do not overclock with parts you cannot afford to replace.

The thermal spec on that cpu is around 72C so it really is up to you if you want to attempt running it at those temps.

For the stability test, can you open the case and does that help with temps?

3. Ronnrein

Ronnrein Thread Starter

I just overclocked it to 4,2GHz, and the temperature increesed by only 1*C in GTA 4 and 3*C in Prime95, so its now up to 74*C while running Prime95.

"The thermal spec on that cpu is around 72C"
    Does that mean the cores shouldnt go over 72*C? If so im pretty safe because i always have a temperature monitor up on my second monitor and it never goes over 60 on any of the games i play.

How long do you think i should run Prime95?

Also i asked another guy a while ago and he said i could safely go for 4,4GHz, and with all the temperatures except the Prime95 one i seem to be able to, but what do you think of that?

I havent tried opening the case to improve the temperature but i will try that!

Would it be a good idea to for example point a table fan against the cooler to give it a lot of air? Just a random idea

4. Ronnrein

Ronnrein Thread Starter

Tried removing the case door, opening my windows in my room, and putting a tablefan facing the cooler, now it was around 66-67*C only, which is a good improvement!

Gives me courage to move on to 4,4GHz
    What voltage should i have for that?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I do not think you are understanding; there is NO safe overclock.

Just because someone else was able to OC to a given level, is no guarantee that you will be able to do the same.

I like to run prime95 for at least 1hr. If you do not have errors at that point, I would consider the OC to be stable.

Vcore [cpu voltage] should only be increased as needed to achieve stability. Upping voltage is where you run a very real risk of frying parts.

As long as you can afford to replace the parts, then no problem. Up the vcore by the smallest amount your board will do and run a stability test. If it does not pass, then up it again. If it still will not pass, then I would give up and be satisfied with what you have gotten out of the chip.

6. Ronnrein

Ronnrein Thread Starter

Yeah i understand, i know there are a lot of risks with overclocking

Well i think ill stay at 4.2GHz for now atleast, at this point i dont need it any higher reall.

Ill run Prime for a couple of hours tonight on this clock to be sure!

Thanks a lot for your time and help! I have a lot to learn!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878765

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice