1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about Thunderbird and Gmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mcseguy9, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I have a friend who has a few PC's, one is hers, one is her husbands, and another is at a vacation home. They have a Gmail account they share and all of the PC's have the latest version of Thunderbird with the Gmail account setup in it. What they're finding is that if one Thunderbird client downloads a message then it's unavailable for the other clients to download. We've checked the settings in Thunderbird and they're all set to leave the items in the Gmail inbox until they are deleted manually. Any thoughts on why this happens? Is this normal and it's just not possible for a shared mailbox to work in the way they'd like it to work? If this just can't work is there an e-mail option out there that will work? Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I use the gmail IMAP with Thunderbird on 4 different systems with no problems. Sounds like your friend is using POP mail, but that should still be OK. Has your friend used the web mail interface to see if the messages are being deleted when one machine downloads them?

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are they deleting the downloaded messages on any of the computers that are accessing the Gmail account? If you have checked the boxes for "Leave mail on server ... Until I delete them", I believe that it means that they will get deleted off the server when the user deletes the downloaded copy on their computer.

Gmail offers over 7 Gigabytes of storage at the moment. Unless they are receiving massive amounts of e-mail with large attachments, they could probably have Thunderbird just permanently leave the messages on the Gmail server and it would take years to reach the storage limit. If they are concerned about the inbox eventually reaching the limit, they could set Thunderbird to leave messages on the server for enough days to ensure that all computers will check for messages at least once.

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Once a message has been downloaded, it's no longer available to download to another client.
    Simple solution on G-mail pop accounts is to go into the T-bird Account Settings>Server Settings and prefix the user name with recent: so it would read recent:myaccount (myaccount being the actual user name).

T. :)

5. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

I'll have to check and get back to you on this.

6. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Interesting idea. I'll check it out.

7. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Hi throoper. So I have two people in this thread who don't see an issue with having multiple Thunderbird clients accessing a single mailbox. You say otherwise, though, so now I'm confused. Which one of you is right?

Also, I don't understand the benefit of your solution - prefixing the username with recent: - would you please clarify what this would do?

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am using POP3 access to my gmail account using Thunderbird at home and Outlook at work. They are both set to leave downloaded messages on the server for an indefinite period of time. I have no problem downloading the same message to both computers at different times of the day or on different days. I use the web based gmail interface should I ever want to actually delete any received messages.

9. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Cool. So how do you have things setup in Thunderbird and Outlook so that they aren't deleted from the server? For instance, if I set Thurnderbird on each PC to leave messages indefinitely on the Gmail server, but place a check in the box that says something like until I delete them, will the Gmail copy be deleted if I delete the copy from inside Thunderbird?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The attached is how I have my ISP's POP account set. The messages always stay on the server, and are downloaded as new on other systems, until I delete them or move them out of INBOX. Usually, but not always, they are deleted from the server when I delete them or move out of INBOX on any one system.

This appears to be exactly what Chuck is experiencing with his gmail account.

Attached Files:

11. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Does it make a difference if I use POP versus IMAP? I believe she's using IMAP now.

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    That is correct. If you put a check in the box for "Until I delete them" the messages will be deleted from the gmail server when you delete the message on the computer. Messages previously downloaded to other computers will not get automatically deleted when the message is deleted on a different computer.

For my Gmail account, I have both Outlook and Thunderbird set to leave messages on the server and I do not have a check mark in the "Until I delete them" box and I do not have them set to delete after a certain number of days. I have been using Gmail for about five years and have only used up about 5% of my storage quota.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IMO IMAP is much more convenient when using the same account on multiple systems. Attached is how I have my gmail configured in Thunderbird. I think that they are the only two pages that could make a difference for your friend's issue. I also have another IMAP account that is configured the same except that I check messages much more frequently (I don't use gmail too much).

Attached Files:

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I should have mentioned that with the above settings messages in the inbox and sent folders stay on the server until when and if I delete them from any of my systems. Each time a system accesses the account the local inbox and sent folders are synced to be the same as the server.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe I've figured it out now. When I read a message it is no longer "new." It still gets downloaded to the other system(s) because I keep a local copy (2nd attachment). If I did not keep local copies, maybe the other system(s) would not download messages that had already been read on another machine.

Bottom line (at this point): if your friend is using IMAP see if the top box on the Sync. & Storage page is selected.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice