1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about TIFs and surfing speed.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BigDaveinNJ, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

I have the option checked to EMPTY TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES when browser is closed. I have heard MIXED opinions about doing this.

I've heard it is good to have this option checked, as it prevents your TIFs from piling up. Others... have suggested that TIFs serve some type of use because they can in some way help you when you go to previously viewed sites.

What is your opinion on this matter? And... can you reccomend any other advice/programs for getting as much as you can out of a DIAL-UP connection? Ie... speed, page load etc.....

Thanks in advance

DAVID :)

2. Del

Del

When you go to a site, it copies everything to your hard drive, if you click back, it pulls the site off your HDD rather then going back to the site and reloading the page, problem is most web pages are time sensitive and after awhile will get a new copy anyway.
    When you let the temporary internet files pile up, it looks thru all of that before going to the site and will slow you down after awhile.
    I delete mine at least once a week depending on how much time I spend on the internet.
    :D

3. buf

buf

Hi Big Dave:
    I have this posted on another board also. Perhaps an answer to this question will also be of help to you and me.:D

As indicated in my signature, I am using Win98SE and IE5.5 SP2.
    With my browser open, I click on Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and scroll to the question:Empty Temporary Internet Files when browser is closed and place a check mark in the square. Now to me this means that anytime I have been using IE to browse the web and I close the browser then those TIF should be removed--am I right OR wrong? Especially they should be removed if I close down my computer--right OR wrong?
    At any rate, they are not being removed and I will appreciate your help and understanding to what I can do to accomplish what I want and think should be done so as to keep a "cleaner" machine.
    I have just manually removed a few of the most un-wanted files including a couple of "favicon" files. There are a couple more listed that refuse to be removed.
    Tell me please if there is something that I am failing to do or tell me if this is something that I should NOT even be concerned with.
    To a more major degree, this relates to my trying to keep those buggers off my machine that AdAware and SpyBot identifies as being "un-desirable" by adding them to my list in IE restricted sites. I hope I have described this adequately that you can follow what I am trying to do and understand how it is done.

4. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

Thanks Del and Buf. I am looking for anything I can to enhance my browsing experience while using dial-up. I have dabbled with a few tweaking programs which are supposed to change some of these so called hidden settings..... ie MTU, TTL, BUFFER SIZE etc...

I have looked into this quite extensively..... and it seems that even the so called experts cannot agree as to the worthiness of these tweaks. Some reccomend certain "settings" ..... and some reccomend others. Some question whether or not messing with these so called settings does anything at all.

I guess it's just trial and error and choosing who to believe. Hopefully we will get some more advice concerning these TIFs and maybe even a few reccomended programs that people have had some favorable results with.

Thank You :)

DAVID

5. Del

Del

Yup, trial and error, buffer size, init strings.. download software..
    Good luck in your ventures..

6. Libra

Libra

Buf,
    Sometimes it helps to uncheck the setting, close the browser and then put the setting back in. You can reboot after each - can't hurt. I've found that changing the setting and putting it back again has helped.
    Sincerely, Libra

7. buf

buf

Libra, thanks and I have tried that before, and again just now. I'll see if it helps this time. Take care and good computing to ya.

8. pgriffet

pgriffet

Hi all. The IE cache is maybe the only good thing about IE. :D
    David, if you check "empty..", your surfing will be slower. Especially if you visit everyday the same sites.
    The images are the files which are concerned for the fast browsing with dial-up. I will give you a concrete example. I surf everyday on a lot of forums (French ones but also tsg, techimo and sysopt) and people may use a gif in their signature. A lot of people use animated gif, sometimes less than 5 KB, sometimes more than 50 KB, the heavier I have in my cache is almost 100 KB. As the guy which uses this gif posts very often, I should wait for a long time without cache, only for his gif. His file was created in my TIF on february 13 and has not been loaded since this date while I surf everyday to this forum and I read a lot of posts where he answers. So 100 KB for a dial-up connection, it's substantial. For the last 14 days, I evaluate the posts with this gif to 50, that's 5 Mb not loaded. Everybody is happy, I browse faster, the Internet bandwidth is relieved and I can even browse when offline. My example is only for one gif but if you apply it to all the gif and jpeg of all the sites where I go everyday and which seldom change, you can figure out how the cache is helpful for me.
    If you never go back to the same sites, if you have broadband, then the cache is maybe not helpful.

Where I agree with Del, it's about a regular cleaning of the cache. But if you use the standard way ("clear history" and "clear offline contents"), you will NOT clear everything. Why ? Because of bugs. IE and OE like other MS products contain bugs (issues in MS terminology). One of these bugs is that the index.dat where the url are stored becomes bloated and IE loses control on it. The result is stray files in the cache and stray URLs.
    OE has also a bug, each time you open OE and you read/write mails, OE writes stray files in TIF, 0 byte length but they interfere in the cache handling. Their "name" is something like this [1], [2], and so on, winfile shows them as follow : _1_. You can see them with "Find Files", look in "Temporary Internet Files" and choose size not greater than 1 KB (you get nothing if you ask for files of 0 KB).

If you want know more about IE/OE bugs, check the following tools :

CacheSentry freeware : http://www.ticon.net/~dpoch/enigmatic/index.html

PurgeIE shareware : http://www.purgeie.com/errcache.htm

The authors explain very clearly some problems and offer solutions.

As MS does NOT provide a way to delete index.dat files, you have to do it yourself.

To delete the Index.dat file, I don't need a third-party tool and I don't need to mess with DOS :

I just rename the folder Content.IE5. After the next reboot, I'm able to delete the entire old folder content.IE5 with all its files.
    IE will create a new content.IE5 folder and 4 brand-new sub-folders.
    Same for Windows\cookies, just rename the folder cookies to another name and it will be possible to delete the index.dat in cookies after a reboot.

Otherwise, you can use Spider : http://www.fsm.nl/ward/spider116.zip

If you search for index.dat files on your disk with Explorer or Find file, you will find some of them but not all. Why ? Another mystery. I personnally don't trust Explorer. I use winfile (under Win9x/Me) the old file manager of Win3.1 which does not handle desktop.ini files, the "culprits" which show something else than the real content of some folders. Or better, Total Commander, a fantastic file manager. If you want to know more about IE "secrets", I've helped somebody in another thread :
    http://forums.techguy.org/t120334/sc6ac0d467d81092cf7e8c2e9588f79df.html

I am using Win98 with IE 5.5 SP1. YMMV.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!