1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about UAC performance

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tomdkat, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I'm looking at a friend's laptop right now. It's a HP Pavilion dv6000 with:
    • 1GB of RAM
    • AMD Turion 64 X2 CPU @ 1.6GHz
    • Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (32-bit)
    • 105 GB HDD w/ 77GB free
    • AVG free edition anti-virus, Ad-Aware free edition anti-spyware, Spybot S&D, AVG free anti-spyware
    My friend complained about her laptop running like a dog and I was able to confirm that. Couldn't get reliably connected to the Internet and when I would right-click on the bar at the bottom of the screen and start the Task Manager, it would take close to a minute for the Task Manager to start. The HDD light was on much MORE than it should have been but there wasn't a RAM issue (no thrashing).

I created a new admin profile for her and this profile is behaving MUCH better than her original one. So, I'm thinking her original profile is "tweaked" somehow. Ok, that's the general background.

With her new profile, the system scans clean for viruses and spyware (I booted in safe mode and scanned the system). I ran a Windows Update and installed about 10+ recommended updates. I can reliably get online, etc. Whenever I run an app that the UAC prompts me about, it will take 5-6 seconds for the UAC window to appear. This means I'm looking at a grayed out screen for 5-6 seconds. (I timed it using the "one-onethousand, two-onethousand" method :D ) After clicking "Continue" or "Run" (depending on the UAC prompt) to allow the app to run, it takes another 5-6 seconds for the grayed out screen to return to the desktop after the UAC prompt has disappeared.

Is this normal? It's been so long since I've touched this machine previously that I forget how the UAC behaved, previously.

My next plan is to run a Kaspersky online scan and to run CCleaner to see if those find and/or correct anything else that might be lurking. I don't have the password for the original profile, which is why I'm doing everything with the newly created profile.

Thanks!

Peace...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice