Question About USB Hard Drive Wear 'n Tear

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hulk701

Banned
Hi Gang,

I have three hard drives. The first two, C & D are connected internally. I also have a CDRW and a DVDRW connected internally. They are E and F.

To add a larger, third hard drive, I put a USB adapter on an internal hard drive. A Molex Splitter provides electricity to the D Drive and the G drive simultaneously.

I only use the third hard drive occassionally. I usually use it to contain backups of the other two drives or to play movies that have been stored on it. Its 160GB. The other two are 20 and 40GB. (C&D)

Because I only use it occassionally I like to disconnect it by unplugging the USB port only. I also like to disconnect it to protect the already stored backups from possible viruses that might infect the other two drives.

My question is, should I also be unplugging the Molex connector to the drive?Does it make any difference? Does it add to any wear and tear to keep the molex connector in?

One of the other reason I also like to disconnect the G drive is because every time I restart the computer I have to plug in the USB connector to the drive, otherwise I wind up with two drives showing on my Device Manager.

I don't like to disconnect the Molex because I have to unplug the computer and open the case every time I do it.

Windows 98SE. Seagate 160GB, divided into two parts using Partition Magic 8.0, Partitions are labeled G and H. G is 60GB H is 90GB. Cluster size is 32kb.

Thanks,
HULK!

I never plug/unplug molex connectors while the computer is on, they aren't designed for hotplugging. If you want that feature you should consider getting a SATA controller and drive, or an external USB hard disk case with powersupply.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I put my external drives in a standard external case. I just turn the power off on the cases after disconnecting them from the taskbar. No need to plug/unplug anything, and they're safe from corruption. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online