1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about using another computer as an external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boogy619, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boogy619

Boogy619 Thread Starter

First of all, sorry if this is being posted in the word section.

Right now I'm using an Emachines computer with windows vista. I bought this computer because my old one (a Dell with Windows 2000) died from years of backed up spyware and viruses. Last time I used it it was so dead that I couldn't even open the disc drive to try and re-install windows, but thats a story for another day.

My question is, would it be possible for me to use my old computer as an external hard drive? I have tons of pictures, music (songs that I made and songs that my friends made), and documents that I never got a chance to save that I would love to get back. Please let me know if there's a way to do this. Thank you.

2. bigbear

bigbear

You could but it would be easier just to remove the drive from your old pc and hook it up as a slave it the new machine.
    This way you would be able to access the old drive without booting up another machine.;)

3. Bigfella

Bigfella

There are many things you can do with your old computer and I would be thinking theres something wrong with the computer if the cd drive wont open when you turn it on. Other wise there is a free program called spybot search and destroy that heaps of people use to get rid of spy ware.

First you can share folders
    File sharing is simple and there are heaps of tutorials on the net to show you how to do it.

Remote desktop.
    windows has a program called remote desktop on the windows cd that is installed with the software. This will allow you to back up your cds and movies on your old computer or encode or translate videos like home movies while still having your other computers cpu free of the hefty cpu usage needed to accomplish those tasks.

Media player
    You could use the system as a media player with both the remote desktop or a remote a wonderfull addition to your sterio system.

Forgive me for the mistakes im sure I have made in this txt as its ten to twelve and I'm buggered.

4. Boogy619

Boogy619 Thread Starter

How would I do that?

And if I decided to do it my way, what do I do? Just hook the old computer up with a usb and boot it up?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice