1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about using Operating System CD for system recovery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by current1y, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. current1y

current1y Thread Starter

I am trying to do a system recovery back to the original condition and I have taken what I need to save. I have talked to HP tech twice and 1 told me I need to buy a special automated recovery cd from them. The other said not to do that and I need to use the two cds I have (1. operating system cd, 2. Applications and Drivers dvd). Operating system is Windows XP professional on a HP laptop.

I have completed the following steps. Can any one tell me if I am doing the right thing?
    1)I put in the operating system cd and shut down the computer.
    2) I started it back up useing the cd (by hitting any button when it asks).
    3) I press Enter on the next menu to "set up windows xp now"
    4) I press F8 to agree to license agreement
    5) I press ESC "to continue installing afresh copy of windows xp without repairing". Below it has the following highlighted "C:\windows "microsoft windows xp professinoal"

Here is where I am unsure about what I am doing is correct. Below it has highlighed "C: partitional [NTFS] 95k < 18k MB free". It asks if I should:
    A) set up windows on the selected item
    B) create a partition in the unpartitioned space
    C) Delete the selected partition

WHen I press D to delete the partion (I assume this means a complete recovery back to original conditions). It says this : "The partition you tried to delete is a system partition. System partitions may contain diagnostic or hardware configuration or other manufacturerd-suppilied programs (I assume this more or less means microsoft office). Delete a system partition only if you are sure that it contains no such programs or if you ware willing to lose them. Deleteing a system partition may prevent your computer from starting from the hard disk untill you complete installation of windows xp. "

Am I on the right track? Should I delete the "C:partitional [NTFS]" partition? I assume the "Operating system cd" I used to start this process is what I need to complete installation of windows xp. And I assume The other "applications and driver recovery dvd" installs every thing else I need to start the computer have have it function.....correct?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, you can delete the partition; then create a new one in the same space and format it and continue the installation. The warning you see is just that you are about to delete the partition containing the current XP. The drivers CD will have everything additional you'll need, but after you regain internet access you may want to download from HP's web site and install the up-to-date drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice