1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buffy, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buffy

Buffy Thread Starter

I was a little questionable about whether or not The Sims 2 would run on my computer. It's an HP Pavilion 531w, 1.3GHz Intel Celeron processor, 256mb RAM, Intel 82810E graphics controller (integrated), and I have plenty of space on my hard drive. My computer meets all the min requirements except for the video card. I though what the heck, and bought it to see if it would work anyway. It installed perfectly fine, but when I went to play it, I got an error message that it couldn't find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in my system. And so I looked at the Intel website to find out what I could do, and read that for my video card, the latest driver was from 2002, and no more would be released, so therefore my video card wouldn't be compatible with DirectX 9.0c and would not run The Sims 2. So, I'm looking for a new video card, keeping in mind the video cards that are supported by The Sims 2, and I think I might go with the GeForce FX5200 128mb PCI card,. I know I don't have an AGP slot, there are 3 PCI slots, 2 empty, 1 I have no idea what's in it, couldn't really tell, just was able to read the model number off it, #90109. I found a card on newegg.com for $67 and was wondering where else I could look, maybe get a better deal? And will the GeForce FX5200 work for my computer? I think I should be able to install it myself, since I know how to install memory, but I might need some more help, like how to switch the computer so it uses the PCI card and not the onboard video card? Any help would be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice