1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about Visa gift cards

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Brokenjunk, Jan 11, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. Brokenjunk

Brokenjunk Thread Starter

So I don't know if I should buy any of those.

Cause I thought it was like...I buy one, I pay the card value at the store and then I have free money to spend online. Turns out that's not the case. A 50$ card costs only 5 something dollars, but then I get feed every month. That's not what I was expecting.

Because I don't want to pay fees for something I haven't used, if I decide to buy one and use it at a later date. And if they're going to bill me, doesn't that mean I'm gonna have to give my address??

2. valis

valis Moderator

where the heck did you find a 50 buck card for 5 bucks? Sounds like free money.

3. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    He must have mean that he has to pay $5 dls for the card plus add $50 dls per month?

4. valis

valis Moderator

maybe....but wouldn't that be a guaranteed card at that point?

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Would be much better if he opened a bank acount (if not done so) and to give him a debit card to make any purchases and maybe sign up for paypal (optional).

6. Brokenjunk

It is a 5$ card with a 50$ credit. But once that 50$ is spent online, I get billed 50$. I don't just spend the x amount and get things for free.

So let's say I spend it all, my fees are basically 5$ + 50$ + 3.50$ fees each month. That's a total balance of 58,50$ for a 50$ card. Plus, if I still have money left after the first month or after I was forced to 'commit' myself to the card in order for it to be functional, that's another 3.50$ each month of monthly fees for the commitment alone.

What a headache! I said screw it. If someone ever used one of those, they can confirm that this is how we get billed, if I got this down right.

7. valis

valis Moderator

I can't, and I use those frequently. I think we are talking about two separate things, however, as I spend 50 bucks on a card, I have 50 bucks to spend. Not 5, and certainly not 500.

8. Brokenjunk

I'm from Canada. But I haven't checked at a store to see if I got it down right. It does say 5$ fees in the corner of a 50$ card, but how it works I can't say for sure.

9. valis

valis Moderator

if you bought it at a reputable place, I'd definitely read the fine print. Again, it's just my opinion, but I think you may have missed something there....something isn't adding up.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    1. Go to a bank that offers Free credit cards.
    2. Sign up for one with a very low permanent limit. (Also do not tie in this card with any checking or savings account so money can't be transferred).
    3. Use that card for purchases on the internet.

I've been using a Visa card from my bank for years like this. I pay off the bill each month and never have a fee. I set the limit to $500 initially and a few years later I upped it to $800.
    My paypal account has this card on file so when I pay anything by paypal, the bill goes on the "internet only" credit card.

12. valis

valis Moderator

Pretty sure that actually assists in credit rating as well, correct plodr?

13. Brokenjunk

Yeah, I've been considering a basic credit card. I've been considering one without annual or monthly fees. The ones that have monthly fees are the ones that also have points and stuff. But points are only good, if you have a lot of money to shop a lot. Considering I don't plan on putting myself in debt, those benefits won't do a thing for me.

14. jvic

jvic

First Name:
    John
    I have a pre paid Visa from my bank that I use only for on line purchases. No fees and the credit limit is what you pre pay.If I buy something on line for 50.00 I put 50.00 on the card. I just transfer the funds through on line banking.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice