Question about wireless and fixed line interruption

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Crix

Hi Guys,

Im new but I'm of an intermediate level of PC user. OK lets get down to it. Throughout my flatmate and me have been arguing about wireless and fixed lines and I wanted to get all your opinions. My flatmate has very little knowledge about computers in general and its been frustrating to try and explain things and we have been having an ongoing argument about our internet usage.

Ok basically we have 5 computers linked to a wireless router which is in my room. My computer, as it is sometimes used for gaming, is connected via a LAN cable to the router [Dlink DSL-G604T] but all the other computers are connected via the wireless feature in the router.

Now my flatmate, lets call him Joe, has a desktop in his room and a laptop which he uses frequently. Both are connected as I mentioned before via wireless. From time to time, he has complained to me about slow speeds on his laptop and sometimes from his desktop as well. I have stated that when users are on Youtube, they are using a lot of bandwith and as such the entire connection slows down [We had ADSL 2++ with TPG at 2400/128 connection].

Now the question I have. Today, he came into my room as I was reading an article on the net about his laptop dropping in and out of the network. I had a look and noticed that the signal strength of the laptop would sometimes be excellent and sometimes be weak and rather frustratingly not connect to the net. After fiddling around with it and looking on the net for help, I restarted the laptop, and then turned off the connection and turned it back on again. Then it seemed to have fixed the problem.

Here is where the argument and my question come in. Later on the day, I was online and had a quick multilayer game of Warhammer:Mark of Chaos. The game lasted probably around 15 minutes if that and because it was such a fantastic match, I went to the living room to show them a replay of the battle.

Now immediately, Joe stated that he couldnt access the net and immediatley blamed my gaming on that. He suggested that since my computer is connected via LAN cable and not by wireless, the network was setting my computer ABOVE his computer in precedence or preference to his.

Is this possible? I know of course the game will probably take up some bandwidth but surely not to completely allow non access from his laptop? Also, an important thing to note is that none of the other 3 computers were on so it was only 2 computers, mine and Joes that was connected to the internet.

My theory was perhaps there was a problem with his wireless card as earlier during the day when there was no one home except me, his laptop's wireless connectivity was going up and down.

I also would like to note that I have setup a static ip for my computer but in a range thats last number is like 109.

My question is the fact that my computer is connected via LAN cable in any way interrupting his connectivity to the network? I know my game does take up bandwidth but he was saying that he was not getting any connectivity for more than 30 mins around the time I did play the game.

Please help me as we had a huge argument last night and he has a very short temper and it is largely very frustrating explaining stuff to him.

Cheers
Crix

Crix

Also, to note, on Joe's laptop, we had this thing called Driver Detective installed which installed ALL drivers for EVERYTHING on his laptop so it is fully up to date with the latest drivers.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, a wired connection will be faster, especially if a number of wireless connections are active to a single router.

I'd start with the usual router fixes for these kinds of issues.

Some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
  2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
  3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
  4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
  5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
  6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

Crix

Yes yes,

These things I know. My questions are:

1. Will the fact that my computer is 'wired' with LAN cable to the router affect the speed/connectivity of the other computers that are on wireless?

2. Surely, my gaming for 20 mins isn't going to cause a computer to lose it's connectivity to the net. The router is say 10-15 metres from where the faulty computer is.

p.s. If you saw my reply, it said that the faulty computer's drivers were ALL up to date to the latest version.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I'm not convinced that Driver Detective is the right way to update drivers, I choose to get them from the horses' mouth.

Obviously, gaming shouldn't cause disconnections, but depending on the firmware of the router, it can. Opening multiple connections on many routers such as happens with P2P and many games will cause them to fall down. That's why the update the firmware and reset and reconfigure are in the list. Since you "know all these things", I guess my work is done here.

Crix

No I didnt mean to sound 'I know all these things'. I know that the firmware hasn't probably been updated and your suggestions I will do. I did not know them. I am sorry If I came across that way.

My question is why was the wireless connection for that particular computer dropping in and out all the time? Its good for ages and then suddenly its not. All the other computers seem fine. Ive done the router reset a few times but still this problem persists only with this laptop which makes me think perhaps its not the router but mayhaps the network adapter in the laptop?

If I get the firmware then will I have to setup the options all over again with port forwarding for my games and setting up the WAN?

CHeers
Crix

Crix

Also, should I set a static ip for the problem laptop?

Crix

Another thing. The droppages in the connectivity happened a lot when I was not playing games for that laptop. No other computers which are on the wireless network have had this issue. I will do your steps and post if the problem persists.

My main question is the fact my computer is connected to the LAN affect the other computer's performance/connectivity for the WIRELESS?

I know this sounds obvious but I need to know this so I can prove from people more knowledgeable than me to be true ...

thanks for your help by the way... :)

Crix

1 more thing, just checked. The firmware is up to date!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
This could be an issue with the specific machine, have you tried moving it do a different position and seeing if it still drops? I'd also recommend you get the drivers DIRECTLY from the laptop manufacturer's site, many times they customize the generic drivers for the chipset used for the wireless adapter in their machines.

Crix

Yes, when I moved the machine around it worked. I also moved the router a bit towards the laptop which is in the living room. I am stumped. I thank you for your help though.

Also, the Driver Detective program actually lists where the driver is downloaded from and we got it from the manufactorer's site [DELL].

There doesn't seem to have been an issue today as my flatmate has not said anything so hopefully it means the issue is resolved but still I have a question:

WILL THE FACT MY COMPUTER IS USING A LAN CABLE TO CONNECT TO THE NETWORK AFFECT THE OTHER COMPUTERS WHICH ARE CONNECTED VIA WIRELESS? I.E. WILL IT GIVE MY COMPUTER A PREFERENCE IF YOU WILL ABOUT THE OTHER WIRELESS COMPUTERS?

Sorry for the capslock but this is my main question which no one has answered yet. JohnWill, thank you very much for your tips but do you know the answer to the above question? From my knowledge of computers I would say my connection will always be faster because of the lan cable but I dont think the fact I am connected via LAN cable affect's other computer's wireless capabilities.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You are right, wired or wireless should not be in conflict, we have a number of each here and they all get along just fine. The big issue is how well the router handles the priorities. Some routers have better QoS capability than others, and of course QoS has to be configured as well.

Crix

One more question? What is this QoS capability? And is there a way I can improve it on my router or is it a fixed capability that can't be modified depending on the router?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
What is QoS

As far as the specific router's capability, that varies by the specific make/model and firmware version.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online