1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about wireless internet

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Tiffanyj87, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tiffanyj87

Tiffanyj87 Thread Starter

Hey, I have a question about connecting to the internet wirelessly.

If you connect through a "hotspot" or an unsecured wireless connection.
    It doesnt require any passwords to connect. Is it possible to be blocked from it?

For example, one connection which is at a airport i live right next to has given me reliable internet for a while, but then suddenly the other day it stopped. I still "connect" to it, and it says its good signal, at 11mbps etc....

But any web browser i open will only load one page. Or at least display one page. In the address bar it will say the site i was trying to go to but it only displays the same thing over and over which is a weird page that says comcast.net but its not. Its just one page that talks about high speed internet. But its not a login page or anything. It just says the same stuff over and over no matter what you do.

Even if i change my ip it does the same, so my question is there some way your computer can be blocked from gaining internet access if its an unsecured connection and you've tried different ip addresses.

Ive gotten an error in firefox that calles this issue a Domain error mismatch. I dont get this. It seems like a block but how? If i could only understand if this is an issue that cant be fixed or can. I don't understand enough to know if this is something on my end or theres.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Easy thing to resolve. Try another computer on this wireless hotspot. If it connects, then the problem is with your computer. If it doesn't, the hotspot owner decided to lock it down.

3. Augie65

Augie65

You might check with the hotspot and see if they have added login security to the connection.

Here is an explanation of your Firefox error message and what you can do.
    Domain Name Mismatch

4. Tiffanyj87

Well I don't have another computer to try connecting to it wirelessly. I only have a old desktop, and this new laptop. I'll be getting highspeed internet eventually but till then i been using this. The airport never gave me trouble before.

How could they lock it down since i still connect to it. It shows connection, and packets sent and recieved. But they could still be blocking it on there end? It seems weird that i keep getting this stupid comcast.net page no matter what i do.

I know they haven't added login security or it wouldnt still be an unsecured network right?
    There are other signals i could connect to like neighbors but i prefer not to since so many ppl tell you its illegal and you'll be like caught. But i hadn't feared connecting to the airports

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I've seen secured hotspots listed as unsecured in my wireless connections. They were configured to require payment before using them. The airport might have switched to this type of service. What exactly does this Comcast page tell you? Is there a place to sign up for the connection?

Why don't you contact the airport and ask them about their hotspot connection?

6. Tiffanyj87

Maybe the airport did switch it, but it doesnt mention payment. The page that shows up is a comcast.net page and it mentions new users, exsisting users, and downloading of some installation software. It doesn't do anything no matter what you click on. Its like a circle. if i click on the "installation" it goes right back to the page i was just on. It never goes away.

It's very odd. I did notice in the connection it shows packets sent, but not recieved. I dont understand if it was being restricted there would be a login or payment of some sort or something. This has never done this before. I connect to it just as i did in the past. Nothing has changed that i can see.

What causes packets to be sent but not recieved?

7. Tiffanyj87

Well, the airport signal is working again. I guess it was a fluke, maybe they did something or was doing maintenance. Who knows, it was weird but now its overwith. If it happens again later ill just ride it out. Its gotta be on there end. Its cool though, even if that happens once in a while. its free internet. And not from like a neighbor so i think maybe its a little more ethical. LOL.

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Yes there are more people paying for it instead of just one household. Much more ethical.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice