1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question concerning video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jlabit, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlabit

jlabit Thread Starter

Been tryig to play Batttlefield 2 with this machine of mine that is getting pretty old. It is a Barton 2600 XP on a MSI K7N2 MB, with an ATI 9600 video card. Looks like I am going to get an AMD 64 3700 processor on an Asus socket 939 motherboard with PCI express 16 graphics capability. Looking at some video cards on e-bay and at Pricewatch. Looks like the ATI X800 is more expensive than the X1300, which I don't understand. I know $200 is about all I can afford for the video card. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Jim

2. pugmug

pugmug Banned

If you are looking on ebay for a vid card to start with then leave what you have in there now alone.

3. acameron

acameron

X1300 is a budget card. the X800 and X850 are better. Here is a link for ATI PCI-E cards all w/ 256MB of DDR3 Ram. It starts with the higher $$$ cards at the top, just scroll down till you hit your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...318922&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=48&Order=priceD

3 things to look for ....

1. Pixel Pipes (the more the better)
    2. Core3 Clock Speed (higher = better)
    3. Memory Clock Speed (higher = Better)

If you find a couple of cards you like you can go here www.guru3d.com or here www.tomshardware.com and search for comparisons on those cards ..... get stuck ... come back here for input from everyone. We all have our fovorite cards :D

I myself am a fan of nVidia but ATI apparently does something right as they are the "other" big name in GPU's.

EDIT: Pugmug is right....I would stay away from e-bay :eek:

4. digger747

digger747

5. acameron

acameron

One other thing you have to watch is your PSU. These new cards all draw more power than the PCI-E slot can give them, so they need to be plugged in to the PSU.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice