1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question: Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BtF8i4, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BtF8i4

BtF8i4 Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently ran a scheduled diagnostic test of my PC with the manufacturer's diagnostic software. I received two error messages and the advice to promptly replace my hard drive. The first message was Failed (Error code: WHD20-1VR) and the second was Failed (Error code: WHD16-T57). The apply to Targeted Read test and Smart Short Self Test respectively.

So I ran Chkdsk for the C: drive and received no error messages.

Which is correct and what should I do about it? The error message won't go away on the software.

Thanks for helping.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

CHKDSK is a very basic check that mostly checks file system and can be set to scan for bad sectors. The manufacturer's diagnostics actually check the physical drive to make sure its operating within the designed parameters and is more thorough.

You should replace the drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!