1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question for any and all tech gurus out there ! (Easy one too !)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Senny, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Senny

Senny Thread Starter

:D Hi all !!! Hey, I have a simple question... Ok, I got a new monitor, and, it has manual degaussing. I have been degaussing once a day (the monitor is on maybe 4 to 8 hours a day). The color is fine and all... here is my question: how often should I degauss ? I know that the monitor manual states to wait at least 15 minutes between degaussings, but, none I have ever had ever tell you how often you should actually degauss as a preventive measure, and I don't want to wear out the degaussing circuitry. Good question eh ! LOL... hey, TIA !!! ;)

2. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

[tsg=welcome] Welcome, Senny! [/tsg]

You shouldn't need to degauss at all unless you have a purity problem. If discolored areas show up on your screen, press the degauss button... otherwise, leave it alone.

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

Just in case you need a second opinion, the brushmaster1's right. Virtually never and welcome.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I'll smack mine if I have moved it around alot, but other than that I don't do it unless I am having a problem. (never) I don't like the sound it makes, or the shake. I know it can't be good for it. LOL:)

5. Senny

Senny Thread Starter

:eek: LOL, I know !!! It totally freaks me out when I do it ! Acts like it wants to blow up or something ! LOL...

Hey, THANKS everyone !!! I hear ya loud and clear... ;)

Thanks for the welcome too... :p

6. chakorules

chakorules

The only time you need to degauss is this:

Your a computer geek, and your buddy calls you over to your buddies mom's house. your buddies mom ask you to look at her monitor because the image is all twisted and discolored and has been like that the day she bought the monitor...

you go over to your buddies house and check out your buddies sister....er oh wait...I mean your buddies mom's monitor. upon looking at the screen you know it needs degaussed. So you press the button, again, and again, and again...no affect on the image. Then you happen to look ontop of the monitor and see some NIC NAKS...sitting ontop of the monitor. Those NIC NAKS are refrigrator magnets...sitting on top of the monitor...hmmm....easy twenty bucks for you. You tell you buddies mom to remove the NIC NAKS ontop of the monitor and explain to her that you can't have a magnet near a monitor. Then you press the degauss a few more times and VOLIA...problem solved...on your way out your buddies house, you check out your buddies sister on more time and wave pocketing twenty bucks for Friday nights date.....

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Modern monitors are degauzed every time you turn them on. The reason for the degauze button is for those situations where the monitor is not or can not be turned off on an occasional basis.

8. Senny

Senny Thread Starter

:D (y) Well, since I am a chick myself, I believe I would be checking out my buddies BROTHER... LOL But hey, I get your drift... ;) THANKS ! I do know not to have magnets hanging out with my monitor...lol, my monitors are really stuck up ! They don't like anything hanging out on them... :confused:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice