1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question: How can I get my LAN to work properly?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kaizer Greg I, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaizer Greg I

Kaizer Greg I It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

For some reason, my LAN is not working for gaming. I CAN connect to the internet to play games online, like through Battle.net and Westwood Online (for Warcraft 3 and Renegade), but I cannot seem to play on Local Area Network with any of my games except for Half-Life: Counter-Strike 1.0 (NOT the steam version). I can also access the shared documents folders on my other computers, but the games will just not work unless it's Counter-Strike 1.0.

I have just recently manually uninstalled Windows OneCare Live after a virus removal(in accordance with the instructions from http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_remove_windows_onecare.html), except for 2 folders inside called:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\ClientSD" and
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\Database"
    Inside the Database folder are six files, but I cannot access the Client SD folder. When I try to remove them, I get a message that says I cannot remove them due to write protection or current usage.

I'm pretty sure that Windows Live OneCare is the issue in not being able to play on LAN, since I could play games on LAN up until Windows OneCare Live's installation, but I am not getting any "This program is being blocked" notifications from OneCare or Windows firewall.

OS: Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 2
    I also have both IPX and TCP/IP protocols installed on my machine, if that even matters.

Any help would be much appreciated!:)

2. Kaizer Greg I

Kaizer Greg I It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

After I searched around for a while, I came across this website called Major Geeks, and it provided me a tool that automatically removed the unremovable remnants of OneCare. Here is the URL to download the auto-uninstall tool:

Major Geeks OneCare removal utility(y)

Special thanks to these guys that I searched for. Now my LAN games are running just like they were before I had OneCare.

NOTE: Be sure to unplug/disconnect yourself from the internet whilst you run the application, as Windows Firewall is temporarily deactivated, and you are prompted to restart the computer when the removal is finished.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice