1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question in accordance to windows 2000 shared files.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RedWizard, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedWizard

RedWizard Thread Starter

Salutations.

I am curious to obtain additional information in accordance to the sharing properties for windows 2000. Basically I've created several shared directories and folders and when attempting to access from myriad other stations I am prompted for a login / password.

I have come to conclude that windows 2000 machines ask for login/password on shared resources by default. I was curious if anyone could offer additional information on the mechanisms of windows 2000 sharing. How can I disable the required login; if I can?

Any additional information would be invaluable.

:)

Thanks

-Redwizard

2. pinntech

pinntech

Hi…

Whether Windows 2000, Windows XP or even Server 2003…

If you are attempting to access shared folders, you will have to have a user account with the same username and password on each machine.

I.e. When you attempt to access the shares, you are being prompted for the username and password because the machine cannot locate the username and password that windows sends during the authentication process for that share!

If you have a username and password of…

USERNAME: joejackson
    PASSWORD: 45earI*^32b

On machine A and you are accessing machine B’s shares, that exact username and password must be on machine B and you must be logged in under this username to avoid the prompt! Of course, the user must also have rights to that shared folder or you will either receive ACCESS DENIED or a prompt for a username and password to access it.

Does that help a little? I hope so!

Thanks!

Shane

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice