1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question needs answered please

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lem0njell0, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lem0njell0

Lem0njell0 Thread Starter

Situation:

A man has a laptop with Windows XP Pro, uses it at work with 3 com Wireless products on a DSL connection

At home he has Cable internet connection and the same 3 com hardware( access point etc...)

will he be able to seamlessly move from work to home with no networking configuration on his part?

2. jimi

jimi

lemOnjello howdy - interesting avatar to go with your pic hmmmmm. speaks volumes!! ok now to biz - start slowlly 1st what protocols is he using?? (don't know how many times i've typed this but - i don't know your level of expertise so i'm not "talking down to ya" will figure it out with time) ;)

3. Lem0njell0

this is a totally hypothetical question right now....but if I get enough feedback on the feasability of this then he will buy the hardware and give it a shot ....my personal feeling is that he may have to go to the network area and "repair his IP.....
    to answer your question on what protocols...most likely just TCP/IP , maybe NetbUEi but I doubt it.
    As for the avatar, I couldn't find anything cool ....but when I get to 100 posts I'll make my own.

4. jimi

jimi

good choice on tcp/ip, i'm pretty sure his cable connection has a static IP, unless work has dynamic (server asigned) or you can give him the same static address at work that he uses at home - ya he'll have to be changing IP's re-boot etc - doesn't sound like that's what he/you want. Did i go overboard here did you get what i'm saying errr typing.

5. Lem0njell0

Thanks for your help ....so far everyone i have talked to said roughly the same thing....And if he turns off his laptop on the way home from work and comes home and boots up ...XP will find everything for him...so he won't have to "repair"

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!