1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

question on idle cpu usage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pbman, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

I know that you need to know what my set up may be but think of this question for face value. What kind of CPU usage percenatge would be normal for no programs running besides Windows 7, the AV

Thanks

2. small chap

small chap

Well obviously this completely depends on your setup, with some programs open, firefox, av (not scanning) wmp (playing) and a few others and with a dual core amd athlon 3.2GHz processor running windows 7 (64 bit) i idle at 0-1% every now and again hitting 2%

If we take microsofts minimum system settings of 1GHz processor, and do a rough translation, a pc running windows 7 and 1GHz processor i guess would idle at 10%-15% ish, note that is very rough.

With any fairly decent and modern cpu, i doubt anyone should idle above about 5%

3. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

ok, thanks, now after digging a little I have an Intel E7400 2.8 GHZ w/ 4 GB of mem.

I'm at 50% with the following programs running

windows 7
    Trend Micro AV
    Outlook
    UPS World Ship- not used unless I make a label but still loaded
    A Cytrix based program

4. Chris A

Chris A

5. dant22185

dant22185

50% seems very high. And programs are just the half of whats actually running on your computer. There are many more processes running inside the windows kernal. I'd use what Chris has suggested to take a look at what you are running in your processes tab. That will give you the best idea what is taking up lot of computer useage. Even while typing this I am only using up around 15-20% of my CPU usage and ram. There is something in the background taking up excessive amount of resources.

6. Pbman

Pbman Thread Starter

I forgot one program that was loaded from my last list-

I still use a DOS based business data base program. While loaded it goes up to 50% and when off, it drops to 2%. Why would a DOS program be such a hog?

7. small chap

small chap

It's very old and not optimised for any windows system, nor modern cpu? As such it demands more from your cpu and your cpu has to work unnecerserily hard to make it work. would be my guess.
    Could also me very buggy in windows, or have some sort of memory leak while running in windows 7.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/874435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice