1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question on Memory replacement on Pentium 1.4--mixing and how much needed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mulderator, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

I hepled a friend with a new build--the old computer is a Dell Dimenssion 4300S with a Pentium 1.4 Ghz processor--it runs very slow because it has only 256K Ram and is running XP. It has a capacity of 1 Gig.

So I have various upgrade options. I could just buy one stick of 256K and add it to the one open slot, but that would be mixing two different modules. I could also add two new 256Ks, or add a 512 to the existing, but then again have a mixing. I could of course add two 512s and have it maxed out. Price ranges between $25 to $120 with those various options.

She wants to keep this puter for a backup for the teens. What do you recommend? Willl 1 Gig make a big difference over 512? Should I put in new memory? Etc.

2. Sponsor

3. Gary335

Gary335

Mixing doesn't matter, so long as both sticks have identical bus speeds. For instance, if the stick of RAM in the system is PC2700 DDR333, than the stick of RAM you buy should be the same. Like I said, that is an example, buthopefully you get the idea.

As for how much, I would go with 512 to start. Your doubling the amount of RAM you have in there, so you will notice some improvement.

4. Mulderator

But if that doesn't work, that's wasted, isn't it? Or are you saying to drop a 512 in and have 768? I can't see "trying" two sticks of 256 because then money is wasted buying the 256 stick.

5. lehatche

lehatche

You didn't mention if there was onboard Vid or a card. I have found that 256mb of ram is min. for XP with with a 32/64 mb vid. card. You might think about adding the 256 mb of Ram and an inexpensive Video card.

6. Mulderator

There is a separate video card.

7. lehatche

lehatche

If this machine is going to be a backup for teenagers than your friend needs at least 512 mb of memory and 64/128 mb Video card. You know they love their instant messages and playing games at the same time. LOL

8. Mulderator

Yes--no question I need 512--I'm just wondering if more would make a significant difference. It seems to me the most cost-efficient would be to drop a 512 in there.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Adding a 512MB probably will give you the best result for cost.
    I wouldn't worry to much about mixing modules, just make sure its PC133.
    An Intel Pentium 4 1.4Ghz isn't the fasteest processor so you don't want to spend too much on it. The early P4's were poor performers.

10. lehatche

lehatche

Well you could get the one stick of 512 and drop it in and see if it plays nice with the 256 if not you can always pull the 256.

11. Mulderator

Yes--seems like the best strategy overall.

12. Mulderator

13. lehatche

lehatche

I have never had compatibility problems with Kingston.

14. Gary335

Gary335

Yeah, your best bet would be to get a stick of 512. Sorry if I was unclear earlier.

BTW, instant messaging isn't very demanding. The most minimal computer could handle it with ease.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree go with the 512 stick of ram and put it in with the existing ram chip. One other item; with the price of hd so cheap now, you might want to install a 7200 rpm drive with 8meg of cache. Both would make quite an improvement.

16. Mulderator

There is already a 7200 RPM in there, although probably 2 meg Cache.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/502506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice