Question on processor........

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HandleX

Is a Intel core 2 duo CPU running - 1.6ghz/800FSB ANY faster than the standard 1.6ghz?
I understand the theory about dual-core but i mean is it worth the extra $$$ or will it just be as fast as the 1.6 single?

the standard P4D was a bad design, the amd64 was much better, Intel basically designed an even better cpu with the core2duo's, get a cheap one if you are on a budget, even one core at 1.6Ghz working on something is better than a 3Ghz old pentium and a lot of applications or multithreading will benefit from having 2 cores

You need a little more ram with multiple cores but that so cheap now anyway, it doesn't make any sense to use less than 2 gigs

HandleX

i have an extra pc sitting around and im trying to decide which one to keep and which one to sell.
the pc i have now is a P4 2.53 (same ram)
The other is the duo-2 running 1.6. (same ram)

What in your opinion is the better to keep?

HandleX

Ok
I really dont understand this still.
are you saying that the 1.6ghz duo-core 2 is the one i should go with?

I am getting SO confused with the REAL dual-cores (2 cpus) and the fake ones (1 acting as 2).
Any links to some information?!

Ok
I really dont understand this still.
are you saying that the 1.6ghz duo-core 2 is the one i should go with?

I am getting SO confused with the REAL dual-cores (2 cpus) and the fake ones (1 acting as 2).
Any links to some information?!
Real dual cores have 2 cores on 1 die (the CPU). Virtual dual cores have all the info running through a single core on a single die. It's like having 2 ATMs vs. 1 ATM.

You can think of dual cores as 2 independent CPUs, both running at, say, 1.6GHz. Put those two together and you get 3.2GHz. I find that's the easiest way of thinking about it.

There is really no point in keeping a single core CPU anymore. You'd be much better off staying with the C2D.

right now the core 2 duo is pretty much the most efficient best design cpu, it does more on less ghz, using less power and producing less heat

about the only thing good about a P4 was the ability to reach a high ghz, it was a bad design from day 1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online