1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question on Redirects

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by LauraMJ, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

I own a domain name: themanestreet.com

Recently, someone asked if I can create a webpage for them that is basically going to be a local calendar of events that I would add events to as they email them to me. Since we're not sure of the participation from the community regarding this calendar of events, we'd rather not purchase a domain and create a new hosting account until we see how this is going to work out.

Now.........I understand, vaguely, about redirects, so I have a question.

I know that if I create a new page within my website it will be something like www.themanestreet.com/eventcalendar .........but, we'd like to have it be more along the lines of something easier to remember, like www.eventcalendar.com, even though the domain of eventcalendar.com doesn't exist (yet). Is it possible to make so that if someone types in www.eventcalendar.com (that doesn't exist yet) to their browser, they would be TAKEN to www.themanestreet.com/eventcalendar?

Or, for a redirect to work at all, does the eventcalendar.com have to a a registered domain?

I know that I can do a domain add-on, but I know that requires a registered domain (which is fine if that's what we need to end up using). I also know that I can do a sub-domain......but that will mean we would have to use something like eventcalendar.themanestreet.com, right? Or is it possible to use a redirect the way I want to with this?

See.......along with the clunkier, longer web address, we'd rather stay away from having themanestreet in this even calendar's address since it's not associated with my business at all but will be a local community thing.........on the other hand, we also hate to go through the expense and time of registering a name and purchasing hosting if no one ends up making use of the webpage, so we wanted to do a trial run, first.

Oh, and I manage my website through cPanel and it does have an area there to create redirects.

Help? :D

2. ehymel

ehymel

All scenarios you mentioned are possible quite easily, but you do have to have control over the eventcalendar.com domain (although that particular domain name is already taken).

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i doubt you can do this without a domain name - otherwise hosting sites like google etc etc would be used without the need to purchase a domain name

I have used http://www.freeparking.co.uk/ and http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ not a massive expense and you get email accounts

4. DrP

DrP

Are domains really that expensive? But seriously, there's no other way to do as you're asking.

5. LauraMJ

No, but it would be simpler and quicker to just make a page in my existing website's folder. Now, it seems, we'll have to get those involved in the project to vote on a name, and then decide "who" is going to actually purchase it and own it......and then register it and buy it, ........ you know how hard it is to get a bunch of "volunteers board members" to agree on anything? Hard to say how long this would take.........all without even being able to experiment to see if this is going to be worth it. :rolleyes:

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
  8. olddirtret

olddirtret

Have you given any thought to using Google to test the idea.

Create a FREE web site using Google Sites and give it public access. The URL would be something like
    https://sites.google.com/site/yoursitename.

Create a Google calendar and add that link to the site. You would control the admin functions of the calendar but the public would see the events.

Later if you decide to continue with the project, the Google calendar could be linked to the new web site.

The Google Sites Help forum has some good information. They also have a share your site section to view what others have done.

My web host http://bluehost.com allows add on domains for only $10 a year.

9. LauraMJ

Yes it does........but those involved in this is not sure they actually want the site to be an obvious part of my business......they want it to be more of an autonomous "community" site, really......which is why we were trying to get away from having Joe Public see "themanestreet" in the URL or having to type that in.

10. LauraMJ

Using a Google site would probably be more autonomous and may be what we end up using at first........but yes, we were actually talking about using Google Calendar. I use a lot of Google webmaster tools for my site, and I like what they provide.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have a few sites linked to google - i quite like the facility now - but took a bit of getting used too

12. olddirtret

olddirtret

Our church uses the Google calendar link on their web site http://firstwesleyanship.org/. It works quite well. The web site is not a Google site and is hosted by Bluehost.

BTW - Your themanestreet.com web site looks good.

13. LauraMJ

Yes, that is along the lines of what we are thinking of. Does the Upcoming Events show automatically when the calendar is linked to the website, or does that have to be created?

14. olddirtret

olddirtret

The web site is using Joomla. There is a component and modules to link to our Google calendar. The Google calendar link is entered into the component and several modules. The event modules can be placed on the site template as needed.

The nice part is that all the calendar information is entered through Google and then is displayed on our web site.

We are using gCalendar for Joomla http://g4j.laoneo.net/content/extensions/gcalendar.html

15. LauraMJ

Hmmm........I don't use Joomla.....but there should be a way to make that work, maybe php or javascript or something.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice