1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question On Reformatting Harddrive

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by wiseguyz408, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wiseguyz408

wiseguyz408 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am looking to whipe my harddrive so i can install Windows XP Clean on My computer I am currently running Windows 98SE. I do not have a reformatting disk but i do have the program System Mechanics 4 Professional and there is an option in there to Whipe Your Harddrive. Is that the same as re formmating the Drive So i can install XP Fresh?

Thanks,
    Ron

2. Akito

Akito

If you're going to install Windows XP, it already has a formatting feature built in. During the install, it'll ask you which hard drive to use, and then if you want to format it. Format using NTFS (unless you plan on having two operating systems on that machine).

3. Miz

Miz

The XP CD has everything you need to do the partitioning, formatting and installing and using it is, in my opinion, the easiest way to go about it.

Just boot the computer with the XP CD in the CD drive and follow the prompts on the screen.

If it won't boot from the CD, go into the BIOS and move the CD drive to first in the boot order.

4. wiseguyz408

wiseguyz408 Thread Starter

I tryed doing it through XP but everytime it tells me to hit Delete to format my drive i get an blue screen with an error message and it wont let me. I can give you the exact message when i get home, but is whiping the drive with that program an option? because my computer has so much trouble to begin with i just want to get everything off before i install XP.

5. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Another option is to create a DOS boot disk (see bootdisk.com). If you look at the contents of the disk, you should see format.com or format.exe (not sure which one it is). As long as you have the format item on the disk, you will be able to do it from the boot disk.

If it isn't there and you have Win98 on a computer somewhere, you can do a search on the Win98 machine and copy it to the disk.

Hope this helps,

MBN

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

You need to check your HD's fitness as a precaution. Maxtor's utility works on just about every drive , if you don't have one that came with yours.

You can first check for errors then do a LL format. It will also set up your HD for XP if you like.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice