Question on using quotes in the forums

parrotplay

Hi...have a question regard quotes.

How do you do this? Can one be added so it automatically shows when you post a thread, or reply to one?? See alot of others who have this going on...want to, also!!

Thanx! TSG....ROCKS!!!

parrotplay/Lee(ann);)

Hi...have a question regard quotes.
Like that? You can click on "Quote and a box will pop up where you can copy and paste. If the qoute is too big to fit, then you can type Quote in [], paste the text, then /Quote in[]. Did I make that clear?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
report / quote / edit

There are the choices.......

First Name
Andrew
Actually I believe you are talking about the sigantures at the bottom of people posts.

User Panel --> Edit Profile --> Signature

That will show the same text at the bottom of every post you have made on this board.

I'd like to butt in here for a moment... I have been using the quote thing for a while now, but I notice all thats shown is the word "Quote" above the actual quoted text. I've seen others that provide the source of the quote. Like "Quote from xxxx" or something like that. Can anyone clear that up for me. :confused:

Originally posted by raybro:
I'd like to butt in here for a moment... I have been using the quote thing for a while now, but I notice all thats shown is the word "Quote" above the actual quoted text. I've seen others that provide the source of the quote. Like "Quote from xxxx" or something like that. Can anyone clear that up for me. :confused:
You can either hit the 'quote' link at the top of that person's post, or...

(QUOTE)(i)Originally posted by xxxx:(/i)(b)
Blah blah blah
(/b)(/QUOTE)

And of course, replace the ()'s with []'s

Here's what it looks like using the "Quote" button:

Here's my attempt to do as you indicated:

Originally posted by McTimson
EDIT.. I replaced all the () with [] . Was that correct?

OK.. figured it out There needed to be a brackett set around the [/i] after the typed in "Originally posted by McTimson.

By jove I think I've got it... Thanks McTimson

parrotplay

Hi all...thanx for your help...Anlore2001, you figured out what I was trying to say...and now...look at the bottom of my posts...!!

Mucho Thanx!!! parrot

Just a little test here... I created a template of the "Originally posted by" in Notepad and would like to try it out

Originally posted by McTimson
OK... Got it now. Here's a new entry from the modified template:

Originally posted by xxxxxx
xxxxxx
It works!!!! :D Now my Rum soaked brain wont have to try to remember how to do that. Thanks to all who participated in my enlightenment. (y) :D

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
after the you need and also before the 'quote' at the end.

W

wanabe_buck

Originally posted by raybro:
OK... Got it now. Here's a new entry from the modified template:
Am I missing something...if you click the quote button at the top right of a persons post it does the quoted by thing for you...no need to make a template...all you have to do is edit what you don't want to include

buck

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
There's always someone in the crowd who wants to do it the hard way Buck ;)

Off Topic:

Did Wet Chicken contact you regarding his avatar????? I think he wants to lay some eggs :D I told him to track you down :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts