1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question re: CD Cheap, Inc.

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by cwilmot, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Has anyone purchased software from CD Cheap, Inc.? If so, what was your experience doing business with them. Their prices are phenominal, like $50 for an OEM version of XP Pro, etc. These bargain prices have me curious as to whether or not they are a reliable and good, solid company. It's obvious that they are located somewhere out of the country. Would like to hear from anyone who knows anything about them.

2. stod73

stod73

3. DeltaUK

DeltaUK

Have you had any luck with your question? I was on the look out for the OEM versions, but I am also trying to find somebody who actually received working software first. Anybody there with any experiences of such deals???????

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, all. I moved this to the Reviews forum. :)

5. DFC

DFC

This LINK should answer your questions.

6. sanconstanze

sanconstanze

(n)

Thanks for the link - just thought I would update on this. I got a spam email today from these people, I'm not looking to buy what they are selling but was curious about the amazingly low prices being offered for top selling software.

I followed the link in the email, the site I was taken to was koolsoft.biz which is registered to a Russian in Vladivostok with a Chinese IP address, since 18th June 2004. The secure payment server however is in the name of some company in the Seychelles.

I don't think I'll be doing business with them anytime soon!

7. steele

steele

Although it has been some time since you posted your original question, the name CD Cheap, Inc rang a bell. They are quite the company in terms of spam. The reason I know this is because they are using my email address as their return address. Needless to say, my email account is filled on a constant basis with returned, undeliverable messages from mail demons and postmasters all over the world. I enclose one such email below to state my fact. Though the software may be priced low and be tempting, I would never encourage anyone to purchase products from any company who would condone such practices. The final decision is ofcourse yours.

CD Cheap uses various domains to flog their products.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <[email protected]>

Received: (qmail 5907 invoked from network); 29 Aug 2004 17:57:54
    Received: from unknown (HELO
    ANice-252-1-20-187.w82-122.abo.wanadoo.fr) (xx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
    by mail5.mcn.ne.jp with SMTP; 29 Aug 2004 17:57:54 -0000
    Received: from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx by xx.xxx.xxx.xxx; Sun, 29 Aug 2004
    22:52:26 +0400
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Reply-To: "Michele Drummond" <[email protected]>

To: [email protected]

Subject: For Crandall's Shop Customers!
    Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:57:26 +0300
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative; charset=iso-8859-1;
    boundary="--57055136536894183492"

Content-Type: text/plain;
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Dear customer!

We are glad to inform you about our OLYMPIC discounts!
    Now u can get any software product at 90% discount rate, just
    take a look at our full catalogue with popular and unique software
    titles:=

http://www.alloem.info/

With Best regards,
    Product Manager
    Michele Drummond
    Uk, 4 Ave. #57

----57055136536894183492--

8. mhindin

mhindin

9. steele

steele

If you did email them then do not expect an answer but do expect them to use your e-mail address within the fraudulent header of all the spam they send out to other people's accounts. I have had 163 mailings bounced back to me (as the supposed sender) because of their practices.

They are using various mirrored domains all with the same purpose. I set up a dummy email account and used their contact us form based on one of their domains. I was quite specific in the software I was looking for. To date I have not received a reply. If they are truely a reputible company in the business of selling software then I would expect them to be falling over themselves trying to contact me in order to make a sale. The truth is that they will gladly except your personal and credit details through their site(s) but they have no interest whatsoever in establishing a dialogue with you.

Please keep your money in your pocket.
    If you are going to buy software then do it through a supplier who will support what they sell. Companies like CD CHEAP Inc. are only out to make a quick buck at the expense of genuine software suppliers and you ... the consumer.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice