1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question re Printer Colour Rendition

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Tabvla, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

I am involved in both photography and graphic arts and therefore need to be able to print both photographs and drawings with accurate colour rendition.

My current printer prints photographs with very accurate colours but prints drawings with very inaccurate colours.

Photographs. If I print a photograph the colours on the printed photograph are almost identical to the colours displayed on the computer monitor.

Drawings. If I print a drawing some of the colours (but not all) on the printed drawing are very different from the colours displayed on the computer monitor. In particular the colours in the Red to Yellow spectrum are substantially different. Green is also affected, with certain shades of Green being identical to the computer monitor and other shades of Green being a completely different colour.

I don't think that this problem is related to the graphics software. I can edit photographs and create drawings using the same software. I can save both types to JPEG files and can therefore print either directly from the graphics software or from any utility that can print JPEG files. The results are always the same - perfect colour photographs, very poor colour drawings.

I would like to get the colour rendition correct for drawings but do not want to interfere with the colour rendition for photographs - therefore changing the Colour Management on the printer does not seem to be a practical option.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions as to how this problem can be resolved.

T.

2. wowzer

wowzer

Do all the drawings have the same problem?

Can you post or upload, to a hosting site, a drawing sample?

I will try printing it and see what it looks like.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Hi Wowzer

Yes, all drawings have the same problem.

Thanks for your offer to print if I upload. However, I have already tested several drawings on another printer and they print with perfect colour rendition.

So the problem is specific to this printer. The printer is a fairly new Canon and I only use Canon inks.

Again, I must emphasise that photographs print with perfect colour rendition. It is only drawings (which usually will include solid colours) that print with inaccurate colours and then with some colours being affected more than others. The results are always the same, irrespective of how the print is initiated.

Colour rendition for drawings can be summarised as follows :-

RED - inaccurate
    ORANGE - very inaccurate
    YELLOW - very inaccurate
    GREEN - inaccurate
    BLUE - very accurate
    INDIGO - accurate
    VIOLET - accurate

T.

4. Knotbored

Knotbored

Try making a new picture made by coppying half a photo spliced to half a drawing and print that.
    I think your printer uses the default of the editing program to determine color rendition, and your drawing program has the defect (which seems to be a defective yellow.)
    Try bringing a drawing into your photo editing program, save-as a different neme JPG then print that new .JPG

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Hi Knotbored

Thank you for your suggestion.

It is almost certain that the problem lies with the printer and not the software.

I can print drawings on another printer and they print with perfect colour rendition.

On the printer that is causing the problem it does not matter if I print directly from any graphics software or save the file as a JPEG or GIF and print directly from Windows. The results are always identical - perfect colour rendition for photographs and awful colour rendition for drawings.

T.

6. Knotbored

Knotbored

Well here is one more thing to try. I have a freeware program named HEX COLOR FINDER 3.0 that is available here http://www.tucows.com/preview/240092
    Using it you can hover over any pixel on your screen and see the red/green/blue value assigned to it (even if your monitor screen misrepresents that color.)
    I hear you loud and clear that you are sure its the printer, but I am almost as convinced your software or monitor isn't illustrating the color you think.
    Why don't you draw three thick lines onto a .JPG drawing and upload it here so it can be viewed (a tiny file size) one that prints wrong on your printer.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice