1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question re Recent Critical Update for IE6

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Libra, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Libra

Libra Thread Starter

Hi,
    Unfortunately when I go to Updates it is not showing the latest IE6 critical update (only the upgrade to IE6 SP1 and the HTML update) so I went to the MS Technet site, but when I got to the area to manually download the update the options are for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and IE6 running WindowsXP.
    I'm running straight IE6 with Windows 98se and have no idea of what update I am suppose to use. Neither of these seems to apply to my situation, but in one of the articles describing this critical cumulative update it mentions IE6 running Windows 98se.
    Does anyone know what I should do?
    Thank you.
    Sincerely, Libra

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Other people seem to be having problems from the current update site as well. I think you should wait until it becomes available at Windows Update where the detection procedure should ensure you get the correct one. Sometimes it takes a few extra days for them to make it available.

Personally I am not installing this update -- but I think folks should make these decisions based on their own past experience, browsing and downloading habits.

3. Libra

Libra Thread Starter

Hi Rog,
    Thank you very much for your reply. At least I know I'm not alone with this.
    May I ask what browsing habits you think would put one at risk? I don't understand much of this, but I think it indicated that if you clicked on a link you could be taken somewhere else and not knowing this, something malicious could be installed on your computer. Is there a way to know if this is happening, or preventing it? I get afraid of all of this.
    Thanks.
    Sincerely, Libra

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you stick to the main roads you're pretty safe. The people who get into the most trouble usually are browsing the x rated areas or in some cases get taken there without really knowing. Sometimes just opening an e-mail will do it. You have to just delete ones that you do not recognize as being from trusted sources.

File sharing utilities pose another hazard, although these usually come as a result of the downloads. Others are always looking for sites that offer cracked software or other questionable offerings. You also have to take into consideration how much control you have over your computer's use -- such as when others have access to it.

I do recommend keeping your antivirus program up to date, and if possible using a script blocking program such as comes with Norton Antivirus.

If you've installed the previous IE 'all in one' update (which I did by the way), I don't see any great hurry to get this one. A side effect of the current update is that you will have to reinstall help files. Thanks, but I think I'll pass unless it is actually shown that the vulnerability being fixed starts to become a commonly exploited one.

5. Libra

Libra Thread Starter

Hi Rog,
    I think from what you said I'm pretty safe then. I don't go to x-rated sites and I stopped the music file sharing after I had to do a format and recovery 4 months ago. Windows got completely corrupted and I don't know what caused it, but I had downloaded a few songs from a new site around then. I update my AV frequently and I did install the last cumulative update for IE in December.
    I appreciate all of your knowledge about this and I'm not as concerned as I was about that update now. Thanks for your reassurance.
    Sincerely, Libra

6. edsod

edsod

What do you mean Rollin' Rog?
    I installed it and didn't see something strange...
    What help files?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome Libra.

Edsod:
    Yeah, they like to hide these little 'caveats' :rolleyes:

You need to click the "Additional Information" + to see it:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-004.asp

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!