Question re Recent Critical Update for IE6

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Libra

Hi,
Unfortunately when I go to Updates it is not showing the latest IE6 critical update (only the upgrade to IE6 SP1 and the HTML update) so I went to the MS Technet site, but when I got to the area to manually download the update the options are for Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and IE6 running WindowsXP.
I'm running straight IE6 with Windows 98se and have no idea of what update I am suppose to use. Neither of these seems to apply to my situation, but in one of the articles describing this critical cumulative update it mentions IE6 running Windows 98se.
Does anyone know what I should do?
Thank you.
Sincerely, Libra

Other people seem to be having problems from the current update site as well. I think you should wait until it becomes available at Windows Update where the detection procedure should ensure you get the correct one. Sometimes it takes a few extra days for them to make it available.

Personally I am not installing this update -- but I think folks should make these decisions based on their own past experience, browsing and downloading habits.

Libra

Hi Rog,
Thank you very much for your reply. At least I know I'm not alone with this.
May I ask what browsing habits you think would put one at risk? I don't understand much of this, but I think it indicated that if you clicked on a link you could be taken somewhere else and not knowing this, something malicious could be installed on your computer. Is there a way to know if this is happening, or preventing it? I get afraid of all of this.
Thanks.
Sincerely, Libra

If you stick to the main roads you're pretty safe. The people who get into the most trouble usually are browsing the x rated areas or in some cases get taken there without really knowing. Sometimes just opening an e-mail will do it. You have to just delete ones that you do not recognize as being from trusted sources.

File sharing utilities pose another hazard, although these usually come as a result of the downloads. Others are always looking for sites that offer cracked software or other questionable offerings. You also have to take into consideration how much control you have over your computer's use -- such as when others have access to it.

I do recommend keeping your antivirus program up to date, and if possible using a script blocking program such as comes with Norton Antivirus.

If you've installed the previous IE 'all in one' update (which I did by the way), I don't see any great hurry to get this one. A side effect of the current update is that you will have to reinstall help files. Thanks, but I think I'll pass unless it is actually shown that the vulnerability being fixed starts to become a commonly exploited one.

Libra

Hi Rog,
I think from what you said I'm pretty safe then. I don't go to x-rated sites and I stopped the music file sharing after I had to do a format and recovery 4 months ago. Windows got completely corrupted and I don't know what caused it, but I had downloaded a few songs from a new site around then. I update my AV frequently and I did install the last cumulative update for IE in December.
I appreciate all of your knowledge about this and I'm not as concerned as I was about that update now. Thanks for your reassurance.
Sincerely, Libra

Originally posted by Rollin' Rog:
A side effect of the current update is that you will have to reinstall help files.
What do you mean Rollin' Rog?
I installed it and didn't see something strange...
What help files?

You're welcome Libra.

Edsod:
Yeah, they like to hide these little 'caveats' :rolleyes:

Caveats:
Users who apply this patch will not be able to use some HTML Help functionality. In order to restore that functionality, users need to download the updated HTML Help control (811630). Users should also note that when the latest version of HTML Help is installed, the following limitations will occur when a help file is opened with the showHelp method:

Only supported protocols can be used with showHelp to open a web page or help (chm) file.
The shortcut function supported by HTML Help will be disabled when the help file is opened with showHelp This will not affect the shortcut functionality if the same CHM file is opened by the user manually by double-clicking on the help file, or by through an application on the local system using the HTMLHELP( ) API.
You need to click the "Additional Information" + to see it:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-004.asp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online