Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question Red CPU and Orange DRAM light

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
hi
i build a new pc and when i started it for the first time i had ram installed in A2 and B2 slots as advised but i got a fast red cpu light then a longer orange dram light and they keep cycling like that A2+B2 then i tried with only one ram stick in each slot and when i put it in the A1 and A2 it blinks fast red cpu then it stays a constant orange dram lightA1+A2 but when i put it in the B1 and the B2 it does a fast red cpu then a couple of secs of orange dram light then it turns off for a seconds and i get a white vga light then a green boot light after secs B1+B2and i get image and everything works well i updated the bios then installed windows 10 and installed cpu and gpu drivers .
then after that this is what i tried :
  • replugged psu connectors and changed their psu slots
  • reseated cpu
  • removed all unnecessary cables
but still the same . i wanted to ask if anyone knows anything else i can test before returning the motherboard beacause i think it is the problem. notes :
1-when i open then task manager it is detecting the other 2 slots A1 and A2
2- i tried with 3 rams B1+B2+A2 and i git the cycling red cpu then orange dram light like in A2+B2
3- one time i forgot to plug the 8+4 motherboard connector and it didnt give me image ofc but there was no orange dram light even tho it was A2+B2 slots installed.
specs:
mb : asus tuf gaming z690
cpu : i5 12600k
psu : asus rog strix 1000w

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Did you ensure that the RAM you used (and have not specified here) are on the board's QVL (Qualified Vendor List), which is a lit of components that the manufacturer has tested and qualified to work with this unit. Others may, but the parts on the QVL have been certified to work.

#4 ·
Have you read the guide at the top of the hardware forum for "Problem builds" If not, do so. If you follow ALL of the steps, you will find the cause of your no POST condition.

Common errors for inexperienced builders;
1 The 8/12pin cpu/aux pw connector not plugged in
2 Motherboard shorting to the case due to incorrect placement of standoffs
3 Something is not fully seated ie ram, video card, pw connectors, etc
4 Parts not compatible. Does not seem to be a problem in this case
5 Monitor connected to the motherboard onboard port when a real video card is installed

#6 ·
The last part of the guide is to swap parts with known good units ie pw supply, motherboard, ram, etc. If you do not have a bench/test system OR spare parts, you will need to take the system to a shop.

A DOA motherboard is not impossible however of all of the systems I have built, I have had one dead motherboard. Even that one was probably OK when it shipped. The outer box was banged up pretty bad however the inner ie motherboard box itself was still fine. Newegg did the RMA without any problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.