1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question regarding 24-pin connector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by udm, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. udm

udm Thread Starter

Yesterday my PC refused to start when I removed my graphics card - hitting the Power On button doesn't start the system running at all

So I did several things. I checked the 24 pin power connector from the PSU to the motherboard and tried to re-fit it again. I also removed the Power Switch connector that connects the switch on the front panel to the motherboard, and re-plugged it in. After that, I managed to boot up the system

I'm just asking out of curiosity, because I suspect that it could have been the loose power switch connector, but what will happen if the 24-pin connector is not plugged in properly? Will the system still start up?

2. bigbear

bigbear

The way the plugs are designed they are locked in place so it would be quite differcult (although not impossible) not to install it correctly.
    I suspect you have a failing PSU causing the symptoms you describe

3. udm

udm Thread Starter

Really? Why do you say that? I tried turning the power supply off and on, but the PC didn't boot up. It was only until I tried readjusting:

- the 24-pin connector
    - the power switch to motherboard connector

before the system managed to boot up, so I suspect it's either one

4. bigbear

bigbear

I have seen power supply's cause all sorts of strange startup problems, so lets just call it a gut feeling with some experience thrown in ;)

5. udm

udm Thread Starter

That's scary. What should I do about it then? It's been two days, and so far my system runs without a hitch

Also, I'm using a Silverstone Zeus series. Paid a lot for it, so if it does die on me, I'm really not gonna be too happy bout it

Can you relate some of the experiences you had?

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The 24 pin power connector is keyed so you can't plug it in wrong (unless you force it). If it was half-way plugged in, that could cause a problem though.

7. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

actually i had a problem like this....although i had a cheap PSU, the problem was the main 24 pin conneector would slightly fall out of place, so as i was casually gaming on trackmania, there would be a sudden loss of power, i would have to open my case, jiggle my 24 pin connector around a little and before you could say a word it starts to POST

...all in all the wiring might be loose

8. udm

udm Thread Starter

I'm also quite certain it's the wiring too. Well actually a part of me is in denial that the PSU is dying lol. Back then I paid quite a lot for this awesome Silverstone Zeus, and it was the last in stock too, in the entire mall! So it greatly saddens me if it does one day just die out of the blue

I'm also not quite sure why, aside from loose wiring, why else the system wouldn't boot though. I turned off and on the power supply about two times, before attempting rewiring on the third time. But I'd still like to know why there's the possibility that the fault could have laid with my PSU

9. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

most manufacturer's have a TTL on their product but there are some that go bad before that time, its really just about being unlucky i guess:(, but the fact that it was the last one there makes it a lot more suspicious as to why it WAS the last one there, you could spend XXX amount of money on any component but there is a small fraction of those that do not operate so well

it's like buying a brand new hard drive only to find it has 75% surface defects making it useless....:mad:

10. udm

udm Thread Starter

True, but it's worked fine for the past 14 months and hasn't had a hiccup yet. I was worried initially, but after 2 months with some stress testing here and there, no problems were found

11. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

and if you could with the PSU put the power rating (read: 12v xxA | Example: 12v 32A)

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The power supply pins are keyed so it is impossible to get the connector in incorrectly unless you use a big hammer. If you look closely at the connectors, you will see some of them are square and some are round. This corresponds with the connector on the board.

Next I would pull the 24pin connector and give it a very close inspection [both the pw supply end AND the connector on the mb] look for any burned and or arcing connectors. This would happen if the connection is not tight.

You can remove the leads for the pw switch from the board and plug in the ones for the reset switch. You would now use the reset switch to turn ON the system. This is a very quick and easy way to test the pw ON switch without having to spend any money.

13. udm

udm Thread Starter

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

By the time you get arcing sounds from the connector, it is time to throw the board and power supply away.

Did you find the problem to be the pw switch and or pw switch leads?

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

Silverstone makes great power supply's, but even the best can fail. Trying to find an intermittent problem can be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I wouldn't worry about this incident, but if it happens again don't even touch the motherboard connector or the connection where the front power switch connects. Unplug the power supply from the power source, wait about 20 seconds, plug the power supply back into the power source, and try to start the machine. If the machine restarts after unplugging and replugging the power supply into the source the problem most likely is in the power supply. If the machine doesn't restart the problem most likely is in the board circuitry.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/781430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice