Question regarding a partitioned hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

statetrav

Am looking for opinions on a hard drive issue a friend of mine had. She has an HP with came with a partitioned drive where the reinstall files are on the D part of the drive. She started having a problem with booting up, and got into a boot loop, and couldn't boot into safe mode at all. Than she had nothing when she tried to boot up. Took it to a repair shop and they told her the hard drive was dead. My question....I worked on the computer, and was able to boot into the recovery part of the drive, reloaded the system onto the C drive and everything so far is fine. Ran a scan of the drive, which didn't find any problems. Now, if a drive dies, can you boot from a partitioned part of the drive, or will the entire drive be dead? Am interested in hearing what you have to say about this issue. Thanks.
And so far, after being up and running for 4 days straight, no problems, even with loading new programs on the drive.

First Name
Jay
It sounds as though that repair shop should be avoided. Other than that, if the hard drive were dead then no you shouldnt have been able to access the recovery partition either. I would find a way of making an image of the entire drive. Just incase the drive is really bad or going bad. That way you will not lose everything. Then if the drive does die then you would have the image to restore to a new hard drive thus not losing all the HP installed programs, including the OS that came with the system. A good program to use is Acronis True Image. However there is a less expensive possibility. If the drive in question is a Maxtor or a Seagate Drive, you can download free from the Seagate website Maxblast 5. This is in actuallity a lite version of Acronis True Image. It will only work properly if at least one of the drives used is a Seagate or Maxtor drive. Also it can be used to prepare the new drive, Make back up images of the entire drive (or single partitions), and restore the back up images. It can not make incremental back ups.

statetrav

That is what I thought. I figured she managed to get a virus? that deleted her drive. I know there have been problems with the SP3 download, and maybe that caused it??? I agree about the repair shop. And they told her that some installed memory was not compatible, even tho it worked for more than a week with no problem, and showed up on the system profile...The installed hard drive is a Samsung, but will keep that in mind if she gets a Maxtor drive (which I do like). Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online