1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question regarding Add/Remove Program

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sawtoothgrin, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sawtoothgrin

sawtoothgrin Thread Starter

I've just installed a new harddrive and begun the process of moving large programs over to the new drive. My question is: If I use the Add/Remove Program function and remove a program which exists on my old IDE drive and a copy of the program on the new SATA drive, will it remove the copy on the new harddrive as well?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

2. keirin legs

keirin legs

Okay, let me take a shot at getting the information from you someone will need to be able to answer this question:
    1st, Are the programs you're trying to uninstal from your slave, already installed in your current installation of windows? (If you can't run the program from windows (for the purposes of what we're talking about here), you can't uninstall it from windows using add/remove programs.))

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Is there a reason you want to run programs from an external drive? Generally, that's not a good way to go.

If what you've done so far is to copy program files folders over to the new drive, you haven't really done anything with regards to the program's functionality. Windows doesn't know it's there. To actually install programs to the external drive, you have to first go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it from the current drive and then use the original installation files or disks to reinstall the program pointing it to the external drive.

One of the reasons this is a bad idea is that you will still have files on your mail drive that need to be there for the program to work.

4. sawtoothgrin

The IDE is my master, the SATA is my secondary/slave.

I'm looking to run programs from my secondary because my primary is filled up. I've got only a few gigs free on my IDE master(50gigs total). The programs I'm talking about are games. One of the games takes up a whopping 20gigs in itself and the other 2 games take up about 10 gigs together.

If I were to uninstall the programs/games and reinstall them again (directing them to the SATA drive) would that alleviate most of the problems that are being mentioned?:confused:

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So both drives are internal? If so, go ahead and uninstall them from the master drive and reinstall them to the slave drive. Hopefully you'll have the option to install to the location of your choice. Not all programs have this feature. Also note that there will still be files required by the program on your master drive. The bulk of the files, however, should go to the slave drive.

6. sawtoothgrin

Yes, both drives are internal.

So lets say that each of the programs has the capability to install to the secondary drive; what do I do about the files that are on the primary drive that these programs may need?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

You could just access the files where they were as the uninstall will not likely take them out, but it might be a better idea to move the files as well after you reinstall the program, to the bigger drive.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's nothing you can do about the files on the main drive that the program needs. Some programs install to main drive system folders. If you move the files (assuming you can even find them), the program won't work.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice