1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question Regarding Dual-Docking HDD Stations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tim345, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim345

Tim345 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a question regarding dual-slot HDD docking stations, as I was thinking about purchasing one. I will be using it for both data transfer and cloning. I also own a copy of Acronis True Image 2014 Premium. My question is this, if I want to clone or transfer data from one drive to the other using Acronis True Image would it be faster with two single docking stations each with their own dedicated USB (to the computer) opposed to one dual-slot station which has to share it‘s USB cable for both simultaneously reading from and writing to the drives? Or is this not how it works; does the data simply transfer from one drive to the other without ever leaving the docking station?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    ?? I think you're right ?? .. But there are "docking stations" with stand alone cloning that should be faster .. Here's one
    Unless you're doing this all day .. is the extra speed really that much of an advantage ??
    I think I'd trust Acronis 2014 for the Cloning/Imaging especially if making a SSD .. and would get a couple of Single enclosures or stations for the speed/versatility ..

3. Tim345

Tim345 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I am aware that some of them have a cloning feature but the target drive has to be either equal or larger than the source drive. This feature is also of no use for simple data transfer. In addition, upon reading reviews for 'cloning' dual-docking stations some people complain that the clone features don't work (whether this is due to them not using it correctly is another matter).

As for speed, I may not be using it daily but may be using it regularly. As it can take well over an hour to clone a drive, speed is quite important, especially if for example one data transfer mode was half the speed of the other.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1118868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice