Question regarding excel docs on a flash drive

osephj

I have a very general question about excel docs stored on a flash drive.
When opening a document to make changes, am I using the excel program
of my laptop? If so then, If a laptop did not have excel then would it not
be possible to work on the doc?

Thanks to anyone for taking time on an unimportant question as this.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes, you are using the Excel program on your laptop. If you don't have Excel on a computer, or other software, like LibreOffice, that can read Excel files, then yes again you can't use those files.

I wouldn't trust a Usb stick alone for storing important files, if you haven't done so already you should make multiple copies and store them on a few other media, like hard drive (external or internal) CD/DVD disk, the Cloud etc.

osephj

Yes, you are using the Excel program on your laptop. If you don't have Excel on a computer, or other software, like LibreOffice, that can read Excel files, then yes again you can't use those files.

I wouldn't trust a Usb stick alone for storing important files, if you haven't done so already you should make multiple copies and store them on a few other media, like hard drive (external or internal) CD/DVD disk, the Cloud etc.
Thank you. This answers my question. My son is the one who has everything on
a flash drive. He just got a new laptop and for some reason was planning on
relying on the usb stick only, for storing his excel files. I will advise him to have
a secondary backup media.

Do usb sticks have a tendency to fail? I have never had one malfunction.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You're welcome.

Yes USB sticks are not very reliable compared to other media, they're fine for moving files between computers or storing things you already have backed up but I would not rely on them alone. Also they are more likely to get physically damaged, lost etc.

If the data is important you should always have backups just to be on the safe side.

osephj

You're welcome.

Yes USB sticks are not very reliable compared to other media, they're fine for moving files between computers or storing things you already have backed up but I would not rely on them alone. Also they are more likely to get physically damaged, lost etc.

If the data is important you should always have backups just to be on the safe side.
Thank you. I will use more than a usb stick from now on.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thank you. I will use more than a usb stick from now on.
I think that's wise.

Please click on [Mark Solved] at the top of the page if you feel it is now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online