1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question regarding RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by r32skyline, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r32skyline

r32skyline Thread Starter

Dec 13, 2009
    Hi, I have an HP DV9894ca laptop that had windows vista 64 bit from factory. the laptop has 4gb of ram. I ended up downgrading to windows xp media center 2005 32 bit and in the computer specs it only showed up as 3gb of ram, even tho i have 4gb. So i did some research and found out 32 bit windows xp doesnt support 4 gb.

NOW, i have just recently upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 32 bit, and it is still only showing 3gb of ram, and from what i understand windows 7 32bit should be capable of 4 gb?

does anyone know how to get my computer to show all 4gb of ram in "my computer - properties"?

any help greatly appreciated
  2. Monkey23

Oct 26, 2005
    Just wondering if maybe your video card shares the RAM and would cause it to show less? What does it show in the BIOS?
  3. Elvandil

Aug 1, 2003
    No 32-bit OS can use 4 GB's. The amount you see is correct. If you update Vista to SP1, it will show 4 GB's, but still not use it.
  4. TacticalSniper

Sep 21, 2009
    Agreed with Elvandil. 32-bit operating systems can't use 4GB RAM. It will see (and use) about 3.25GB. If you are using a 32-bit system, you are basically wasting close to 768MB of RAM.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/885163