1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

question regarding using a backup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Limericklady, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Limericklady

Limericklady Thread Starter

Hi folks,
    1st the problem is this:.
    My poor old dell pc is stuck in a loop when trying to boot. 1st msg that comes up refers to hall.dll, then Boot.ini is missing.
    I have (discovered :)) that I backed up this old dell in 2011 to an external drive. (found it this am while looking for something else on there).
    So my Question\s is this.
    would this backup restore my computer?. and 2 if so.. do I need to copy this backup to a cd. (the external drive has a lot of stuff on there.)

this is the one i was here with back in 2011. :eek:
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/1002175-cpu-runs-100-after-short.html

(added info)
    <windows root>system32\hal.dll
    Invalid Boot.ini file
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

2. Limericklady

tried connecting the external drive (with usb cable) to the pc... can't access it unless windows loads. which obviously is not going to happen. is there any way to get a command prompt only ? all the menu's I see after pressing F8 are for windows, the usual line up in there. (have tried a few :( )

I do not have any xp cd's here. (lost or taken I don't know which)

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have your XP installation CD--or can borrow one--you may be able to repair the boot.

Backup of what? How was it made?

4. Limericklady

hi Terry
    I backed that pc up onto a Goflex desk external drive, it came with backup software on it. Memeo i think its called.
    I have looked at the backup that was made.. its huge! 5.?gig and so wont fit on any dvd i have here. It has i believe all the system folders on there.. maybe i just need one??

I did try to use another persons xp disk, it went to set up but when i tried the repair option it just hung there (cpl of hours.) I gave back cd as I figured it may have been the wrong one.
    Maybe I will ask around again.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know anything specifically about that disk or software, but usually software like that will have an option to create a boot CD. You then can use the boot CD to access the external hard drive and restore the backup to your internal hard drive. See if you can make a boot CD (using another computer of course) using that software.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice