1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question Regarding WPA vs WEP Encryption

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Silvrrwulf, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvrrwulf

Silvrrwulf Thread Starter

Just the logistics, I promise :).

After reading teh well documented exploits, I've considered moving to WPA instead of WEP (although I figure if anyone is actually tenecious enough to break into my WEP network, they deserve the nothing they'll find). At any rate, My Netgear router gives something called a Key Lifetime in minutes. Now, I can't very well jump back to my router every hour on the hour to get my laptop to function, and the longest it will go is 999 minutes. This, while nice for a corperate network, is overkill in my two bedroom home.

I suppose my question is - are all WPA networks set with keys that expire? This is teh first I've heard of it - otherwise, like licking toad, "eveyone is doing it;" WPA I mean.

If you don't watch Family Guy, disreagard the toad comment, but still feel free to answer the question :). Thanks a lot!

~SilverWulf

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The key is automatically changed for you, no user input required. I'd just leave it at it's default.

3. Silvrrwulf

Silvrrwulf Thread Starter

Thanks!

:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice