1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question regarding XP with failed hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SHoliday, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SHoliday

SHoliday Thread Starter

Do I have to rebuild a fresh Windows XP in this situation,
    before I can restore my recent Drive C backup from external
    drive?

Background: 5.9 year old internal Western Digital 320GB ATA
    hard drive crashed, will not boot, just clicks. Contacted WD
    support who said drive is toast. Also tried the freezer trick
    as well as the heating trick, still clicks, will not boot.
    Have ordered a new 250GB ATA Western Digital hard drive.

When new drive arrives, I plan to partition it with a 20GB
    larger partition for Drive C and format the partition.

My question is specific. Am I going to have to rebuild a
    fresh copy of XP on the new Drive C before restoring the
    recent backup from an external drive, or is there some way
    I can avoid the time-consuming system rebuild before I try
    the restore (assuming that I will not be disallowed to
    restore a backup to a different size partitioned Drive C).

BTW, the failed drive clicks in an unusual pattern, 6 clicks
    followed by a pause, then 2 clicks followed by a pause, then
    2 clicks, then spins down. Does this 6-2-2 pattern signify
    anything significant?

2. valis

valis Moderator

no, that's just the click of death. Chances are high that any data that wasn't backed up from that drive is gone, gone, gone. You can try a disk enclosure, but chances are you will need to try some recovery apps such as Recuva, and even then, no guarantees.

Easiest answer would be if you had your install disks, just format the new HD and load XP on there.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It depends. What type of backup ie image backup, sector by sector backup or simply a file/folder backup?

What type of program did you use to make the backup ie acronis, clonezilla, what?

4. microlady

microlady

If for any reason things do not go as planned.....about 2001 with Windows 98 and a Pentium 11 computer my original WD drive started clicking. I wound up realizing my onboard primary IDE controller was not working but the secondary was. I wound up buying a Promise 100 SCSI controller and putting 2 hard drives on it, put my CD drives on the Board secondary controller and everything is still working today. The Promise tech support told me to boot up WIN98 and install the drivers before moving over the boot drive. But when I said I was not sure I could access my hard drive at all...he then said if I install the card and change the boot sequence to SCSI (the card) first and then run Win98 and install the drivers it should be okay. I did all this and the install was good and my drives are fine today.
    I did wind up eventually replacing the original 8GB with a WD 120 GB but my motherboard secondary controller is fine for the CD drives and my Promise card controller handles my 2 hard drives.

I say stay on your course to see if all goes well. But if you install a new drive and still get the clicking...that probably would be the motherboard primary controller......like mine was. I was glad
    I did not have to replace the motherboard, etc. In my case the controller cause the drive to do
    the clicking, causing problems seeing my C: drive, etc. It was so long ago I just wrote some notes
    about the problem and so I don't have much more information to share.

5. SHoliday

SHoliday Thread Starter

Did the backup with the with the normal Control Panel backup/restore.

OT: Does CRJ have ADS-B?

6. SHoliday

SHoliday Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. Before I ordered the new HDD, I made sure the motherboard was good by
    plugging an old (much smaller) HDD into the same cable (that the failed/clicking HDD used) and
    successfully booting XP. Am awaiting delivery of new HDD.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice